Keepin' Busy

Raffi Aftandelian raffi at bk.ru
Sat Jan 14 09:52:58 PST 2006

Birgitt,
Thanks much for your questions to Harrison. And Harrison, thanks for
your replies.

Something tells me the ground covered here in these questions has been
covered on and off-list before. Maybe like with the processwork
(www.processwork.org) and OST thread that came up a few months back (OST and processwork
together had come up several times before onlist), the questions you posed
(again?), Birgitt, might take us to (somewhat of ) a new place this time.

Birgitt, might you (re-)articulate how you understand OST (and os)
works? Or frame the (apparently different) assumptions you see making
OST work? Or would I best be served by combing the archives for
discussions of "givens"?

On a related side note, I think this discussion bears a relationship
to how we hold space. One way of describing how we hold space I
learned about almost by accident at the OSonOS in Halifax (indeed, the
most interesting part of the Halifax OSonOS were the
mini-conversations that happened almost by accident and ended as
abruptly and quickly as they started) from an OST "elder"
facilitator. She described how one Vietnamese Buddhist nun came to an
OST event unexpectedly and talked about three ways of holding space:

1. cupping your hands together in front of you
2. palms facing the sky, sides of palms pressed against each other
3. hands behind the back

Curiously, the nun disappeared as unexpectedly as she appeared. No way
to get in touch with her to follow up on the conversation.

How do I/you hold space?

What kind of space-holding do the myriad training designs for OST
facilitation teach?

Thank you Harrison for your doubts about whether the facilitator even
really needs to happen for OST to take place. Takes my notion of the
sleeping facilitator even further-- the absent facilitator.

Warmly,
Raffi
www.talesofatoy.blogspot.com

p.s. Happy belated new year (both Gregorian and Julian)

                          mailto:raffi at bk.ru