Keepin' Busy

Phelim McDermott phelim at mac.com
Thu Jan 12 17:28:33 PST 2006

Cheers Harrison,

Dont know why but with other people if i just press reply it goes to
the oslist but with you it goes to your personal email so i have to
remember to change it. However i've noticed from other list
communication your email has a CHAOS VIRUS attached to it!

Thanks for support. I  would love to send your comments on to the
group if that's ok.

If people want to inspect the proceedings in more detail they are at
the improbable website. On

www.improbable.co.uk

or direct to

http://www.improbable.co.uk/show_example.asp?item_id=17.

Now look what happens when you open space.....  Just got an email
back from Arny Mindell. re the open space event here...

> Arny's email:
>
> Dear Phelim, this is superb! Thank you; thank you.
> At some point, could you tell us
> a. what POP can learn from open space
> b. what open space needs to learn
> we adore you and are so happy to know you and your great work, love
> you amy
> and arny

here's my reply to him...

(I'm a bumble bee now you see)

> [...]
> awareness. A room full of participant facilitators and leaders
> creating new forms. Very moving. As a facilitator the learning is
> about doing nothing and letting nature take its course and nature
> just does it....
>
> HOWEVER  I couldn't have held the space and facilitated like i did
> if i hadn't  been facilitating  a regular  weekly worldwork/theatre
> forum called "COOKING CHAOS"... for the last three months teaching
> worldwork skills to actors and running a group process. the
> metaskill of detachment and openness to diversity and ability to
> hold tension and different weather systems is essential to keeping
> the space open. It's so much about not doing with total presence.
> Open space  really creates deep democracy...  tangible in the air.
> Extraordinary flat ..level.. landscape of energy lines, were
> visible between the people. I'm  Interacting with people very
> differently afterwards very congruent with subtle impulses connects
> you to your path of heart. feel like change is possible and
> simultaneously feel less personally responsible. Less attached to
> outcomes but outcomes from weekend feel like they will happen
> without pushing. Someone said that with all the emails and people
> calling us Improbable must feel swamped with responsibility to look
> after things and it feels like THE OPPOSITE it feels shared. I feel
> like part of a natural organism like a termite colony that could
> build a beautiful cathedral just by being who we are. My work is
> doing me and i feel like myself. I'm more assertive and less pushy.
> Low level depression of theatre community had lifted from the
> group, after two days. Open space lets the structures fall away as
> you embrace chaos and transformation is possible. New structures
> created out of love and connection. I've never seen people doing
> real work and writing and deep discussion so free of their inner
> critics. FANTASTIC. and afterwards people ask me how it went and
> i've never felt so free to SAY how well it went.
>
> World Work / Open Space:  mmmmmhhhh?
>
> Maybe two days open space then two days worldwork or other way
> round but i think Harrison is absolutely right that interrupting
> the opened space with something else would be a disaster.
>
> Some of the break out groups who'd been doing cooking chaos with me
> had sub groups using worldwork techniques and that's good i think.
> but it was seasoning in the soup that happened within the whole pot.
>
> Worldwork seems to be a steeper learning curve as it can get so hot
> so fast i think.
>
> Open space is more like impro i think.
>
> What does open space need to learn from Worldwork?
> I put a question on the group about this:
>

>> "I noticed at d and d some hotspots which seemed like the start of
>> some group
>> processes.. interested to know whether you take action and do
>> work.? or if you
>> trust the open space pot to deal with it? Little brewing questions."

someone just replied

>> "I felt that.  And was aware of it...felt like there was learning
>> and change
>> there to be had a couple of times, but the 'normal' nature of the
>> polite
>> interaction didn't quite go for it..."

I think it's about time...

They can learn from each other by doing them both I think.... the
connections are already there.

THE REAL QUESTION IS WHAT CAN WORLDWORK AND OPEN SPACE LEARN FROM
THEATRE AND IMPRO? !

just kidding!

and thanks Harrison and all others involved in developing OST for the
gift.

Love and respect to you all..

Phelim