OpenSpace-Online Conference for Change Facilitators (Registration open until: January 22nd, 2006)

Gabriela Ender gabriela.ender at OpenSpace-Online.com
Tue Jan 10 07:14:03 PST 2006

Hi Marta, thanks!

Okay ... I agree. I think a "happy medium" is to write simply 28 Euro. For
people and currency converters around the world a better solution.

Gabriela

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marta Sanchez" <sanchez at mail.fpg.unc.edu>
To: <OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 3:32 PM
Subject: Re: OpenSpace-Online Conference for Change Facilitators

Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 10:21:39 -0500
To: OSLIST <OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU>
From: Harrison Owen <hhowen at verizon.net>
Subject: Keepin' Busy

I guess I fibbed a wee bit. Yes I am working on a book (or the book is
working on me) - and there are a few other things coming down as well. I
have also been working with a really neat organization which is seeking =
open some space in a very critical area. And they are more than a little
worried about really opening space. We have been going on and on until I
felt constrained to send the following message. I share it here because =
thought it might be of interest. As I was writing this about 5 this =
morning
I thought fondly of Lisa and her speech about "only the highly =
evolved..."
But I didn't think that would work in this case. Needless to say I have
scrubbed all the identifying details.

 Dear XXXX -- I am glad that you still think Open Space is the way to go =
--
but I must confess that I am having some reservations. These =
reservations
have nothing to do with the capacity of Open Space enable this group, or
indeed any group, to engage in meaningful conversation and come to =
useful
conclusions. The issue for me is two fold -- First, Do the sponsors feel
sufficiently trusting and supportive to let the process run? There will =
be
moments of high tension, and experience has shown that the people =
themselves
can and will handle it all by themselves. The bottom line is that I just =
let
it go. Once underway, we are gone, and there is no place for =
intervention,
mid-course correction, the conference management committee doing a
re-design. It is all up to the people.

My second area of concern is whether or not what I might call "competing
interests" create conditions that are, to some real extent, antithetical =
real Open Space. I am thinking particularly of the Press. I clearly
understand the need for press coverage -- just to get the word out. The
problem is that deep conversations can rarely be reduced to sound-bites.
Even worse, deep conversations which are only partially concluded are =
even
less susceptible to being sound-bites. I think it is quite possible that =
we
will reach the end of the first day in Open Space and there is nothing =
report -- or at least nothing that anybody wants to report. It is =
equally
possible that we will reach the end of the conference in the same =
condition.
Several thousand years (well almost) of understandings, =
misunderstandings,
ignorance, misperceptions, to say nothing of mis-trust and anger will =
not be
resolved in three days. We can make a good effort, and things may well =
move
along much further than we have any right to expect -- but expectations =
of
any sort can be very problematical. The hard lesson of Open Space (and I
think life as well) is that firm attachment to specific outcomes is =
usually
disastrous. When you don't get what you expected the temptation is to =
think
that you achieved nothing at all. And if the expectation is that by the =
end
we will have a neatly tied up body of conclusions combined with action
plans, all of which may be "briefed" to the Press, I think that is quite
unlikely. Possible for sure -- but unlikely. And should any of this =
occur
(or actually NOT Occur) the press will leave frustrated and might well
report total failure. The fact that subtle, but important movement took
place in the building of relationships, the definitions of issues and
opportunities for future conversations (but not immediate resolution) =
will
escape them because they were not part of the conversations. That would =
not
be, I would judge, a desirable outcome.

An even worse scenario would be if we were to drive the whole conference
towards a final, definitive document with neat conclusions, =
recommendations
and actions. That would effectively shut the space down, and the only =
way to
assure such an outcome would be to have all of the conclusions,
recommendations and actions defined in advance. Obviously there are =
multiple
international conferences that do just that. Such conferences have the
advantage of meeting expectations and maintaining the semblance of =
control.
But that is not open space (or Open Space).

The crux of the matter, I think, is that everybody (certainly the =
organizing
body) must be willing to exist in that wonderful Great Cloud of =
Unknowing.
Something for sure will happen, but there is absolutely no way to =
predict or
assure what that "something" might be. Personally, I have always found =
that
the "something" we didn't expect was so much better than what was =
predicted
as to make everything worth while. But you can never tell in advance.

I have written at such length because I think it is absolutely critical =
that
all the responsible parties are totally clear about what we are getting =
into
-- which paradoxically is that we really don't have a clue, and =
certainly no
guarantees. Hope, desires for sure -- but we will not know what is =
achieved
until it has happened, and even then we may not be too sure.

Personally, I also want to make sure that nobody mistakes me for a =
salesman
or even an advocate for Open Space. I am delighted to share my =
experience
and pleased to offer my services, but the choice on how to proceed is =
not
mine to make. Truth to tell, I guess I am an advocate, not for Open =
Space
Technology -- but rather for the people and their capacity to make sense =
out
of the confusing and progress out of difficulty. But you can never tell =
how
it will all work out.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20854
Phone 301-365-2093
Skype hhowen
Open Space Training www.openspaceworld.com =
<http://www.openspaceworld.com/>

Personal website www.ho-image.com=20
OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the =
archives
Visit: www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html
<http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>=20

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

>From  Tue Jan 10 12:00:50 2006
 (Registration open until: January 22nd, 2006)

--Boundary_(ID_rAQl0UHo5TQBz+T7d1FthQ)

I think the problem may be related to  trying to convert metric/decimal
figures into english/american measures.
Just my grain of salt.
Jean-Pierre Beaulieu
Montréal

  Gabriela Ender wrote:
Hi Diane and Erich, thank you! Good hint!

We never tried to copy and paste 28,00 into this converter. Maybe we have to
[...]

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE></TITLE>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type =
content=3Dtext/html;charset=3DISO-8859-1>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2802" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY text=3D#000000 bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D708535816-10012006><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>I=20
think the problem may be related to  trying to convert =
metric/decimal=20
figures into english/american measures.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D708535816-10012006><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>Just=20
my grain of salt.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D708535816-10012006><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2>Jean-Pierre Beaulieu</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D708535816-10012006><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2>Montr=E9al</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
  <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT =
face=3DTahoma=20
  size=3D2>-----Message d'origine-----<BR><B>De :</B> OSLIST=20
  [mailto:OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU]<B>De la part de</B> Marta=20
  Sanchez<BR><B>Envoy=E9 :</B> 10 janvier 2006 =
09:32<BR><B>=C0 :</B>=20
  OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU<BR><B>Objet :</B> Re: =
OpenSpace-Online=20
  Conference for Change Facilitators (Registration open until: January =
22nd,=20
  2006)<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>Gabriela,<BR>In the interest of diversity =
and=20
  understanding other cultures, encourage you to leave it as 28,00.=20
  <BR>Marta<BR><BR>Gabriela Ender wrote:=20
  <BLOCKQUOTE cite=3Dmid034001c615ef$f77d7840$0400a8c0 at pc1 =
type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">Hi Diane and Erich, thank you! Good hint!

----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Diane Brandon" <A class=3Dmoz-txt-link-rfc2396E =
href=3D"mailto:diane.brandon at comcast.net"><diane.brandon at comcast.net&g=
t;</A>
href=3D"mailto:OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU"><OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISES=
TATE.EDU></A>
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 1:52 PM
(Registration open until: January 22nd, 2006)

  </PRE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">Thanks, Erich! When I put =
it in the web converter, with the comma, it
came out to over $3,000 US! Just checking.... :)
Diane

      <BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">Diane,

        <BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">----- Original Message =
-----
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 12:46 PM
Facilitators (Registration open until: January 22nd, 2006)

Hi -- the conference fee is listed as "Costs: Euro 28,00" --

I'm pretty sure it's 28 EUR, yes? (The comma should be a period?)
which
converts to

28 Euro =3D 33.91556 US Dollar

Diane

          <BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">Dear colleagues and =
friends,

You are warmly invited to the ...

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
5th International OpenSpace-Online=AE Real-time Network Conference for
Change
Facilitators

Political and economical crises, new diseases, and the growing
ecological
unbalance on earth greatly influence us and next generations. Change
Facilitators from around the world are invited to meet in an
OpenSpace-Online=AE real-time conference with the title:

"Change Facilitation: Issues and Opportunities of Economic
Globalization,
Ecological Challenges and other worldwide Change Processes"

Where: In the comfort of your own home or office
Duration: 3,5 hours (real real-time event)
Costs: Euro 28,00
Registration deadline: January 22nd, 2006 !

The virtual-leaded and text-based internet methodology takes
participants in
real-time through successive phases of shared agenda creation,
          </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=3D"">multiple
        </PRE>
          <BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">discussions and cafe =
talks, summarizing results, prioritizing,
          </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=3D"">action
        </PRE>
          <BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">planning. At the end =
each participant receives an extensive
documentation
about the meeting at the press of a button.

Complete invitation and online registration at:
<A class=3Dmoz-txt-link-freetext =
href=3D"http://www.OpenSpace-Online.com/event/060128e/index.php">http://w=
ww.OpenSpace-Online.com/event/060128e/index.php</A>
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Please join us and share the invitation with your network and
communities!

Best regards
Gabriela Ender

OpenSpace-Online GmbH - The Power of People!
Resselsteig 30, 12209 Berlin, Germany
eMail: <A class=3Dmoz-txt-link-abbreviated =
href=3D"mailto:contact at OpenSpace-Online.com">contact at OpenSpace-Online.com=
</A>
website: <A class=3Dmoz-txt-link-freetext =
href=3D"http://www.OpenSpace-Online.com">http://www.OpenSpace-Online.com<=
/A>
phone: +49-(0)30-772 31 69
fax: +49-(0)30-77 39 20 21
Learn more about the OpenSpace-Online=AE Methodology, free E-BOOK:
<A class=3Dmoz-txt-link-freetext =
href=3D"http://www.OpenSpace-Online.com/OpenSpace-Online_eBook_en.pdf">ht=
tp://www.OpenSpace-Online.com/OpenSpace-Online_eBook_en.pdf</A>
Maintain the co-creative energy of face-to-face events as well of
online
activities and carry on the work across distances. Put the human
          </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=3D"">being
        </PRE>
          <BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">in
the center, enable goal oriented collaboration and participation,
regardless
of whether it is in politics, society, economics, or education. The
future
has already begun!

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
<A class=3Dmoz-txt-link-abbreviated =
href=3D"mailto:OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU">OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE=
.EDU</A>
view the archives of <A class=3Dmoz-txt-link-abbreviated =
href=3D"mailto:oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:">oslist at listserv.boisestat=
e.edu:</A>
<A class=3Dmoz-txt-link-freetext =
href=3D"http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html">http://lists=
erv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html</A>

<A class=3Dmoz-txt-link-freetext =
href=3D"http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist">http://www.openspaceworld.o=
rg/oslist</A>

          </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=3D"">*
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
<A class=3Dmoz-txt-link-abbreviated =
href=3D"mailto:OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU">OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE=
.EDU</A>
view the archives of <A class=3Dmoz-txt-link-abbreviated =
href=3D"mailto:oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:">oslist at listserv.boisestat=
e.edu:</A>
<A class=3Dmoz-txt-link-freetext =
href=3D"http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html">http://lists=
erv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html</A>

<A class=3Dmoz-txt-link-freetext =
href=3D"http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist">http://www.openspaceworld.o=
rg/oslist</A>
        </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE wrap=3D"">*
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
[...]

  </PRE></BLOCKQUOTE>* *=20
  =
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=20
  OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU ------------------------------ To =
subscribe,=20
  unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of=20
  oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:=20
  http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html To learn about=20
  OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs: =
http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist=20