Not so frequently told stories

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Fri Jan 6 08:59:49 PST 2006

i'm with you, funda.  open space for me is not an on-off switch, but a
continuum, a journey toward open.  so the conversation with almost any
client is sort of like laying out a topographical map.  then i point
out some of the places we *could* go... some longer trips usually,
more open, more like the user's guide... and then if they point to the
map and say "what about this little day trip?" we talk about that.
sometimes we do that trip.  and the key, i think, is noticing what of
that trip is like full-blown open space and what is, as harrison calls
it, a compromise.  any success that they can have with the
non-compromised dimensions of what we do increases the chances of
having more space next time.  in this way, i'm often paying attention
to opening now, and next time.  michael

Michael Herman Associates
300 West North Ave #1105
Chicago IL 60610 USA