Not so frequently told stories

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Wed Jan 4 04:35:24 PST 2006

Kevin -- I would guess that your search will not be too productive, which is
not to say that some folks over the past 20 years have found OS not to be
their cup of tea. In most of the situations which I have been able to run
down, the unhappy person was the sort who absolutely required somebody else
to tell them what to do. I could not understand that personally, but I am
clear that such people exist. In all the other situations where OS
supposedly did not live up to its billing the "fault" seeming lay with the
facilitator/sponsor. The most common case would be where folks tried a
"little bit of Open Space" which might mean a short time or very restricted
area of discussion -- in either case they really didn't have much open
space. However at the end of the day, or more accurately 7300 days (20
years) I can honestly say that I have never seen nor heard of any situation
in which OS failed to work provided the initiating conditions were present
(real issue, lots of diversity, lots of complexity, lots of conflict, sense
of urgency) and the process followed (sit in circle, create bulletin board,
open a market place, go to work).

Harrison

NEW EMAIL ADDRESS!!!!
hhowen at verizon.net
Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20854
Phone 301-365-2093
Skype hhowen
Personal website www.ho-image.com
OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives
Visit: www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html