Optimal Time-Slots

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Thu Feb 23 12:19:56 PST 2006

Hi, all -

I do 1, 1.5 or 1.25 hours, depending on what will fit into the schedule (for
example with only a day or less I will opt for more sessions / more layering
of thinking, hence I will tend towards 1-hour sessions).

I also do not have any planned breaks except for lunch (and ideally that
lunch is a box or buffet lunch right in the same room so folks can keep on
meeting and talking), and I encourage the hosts to offer beverages all day
(I want the participants to stay hydrated with all that talking, animation
and movement).  And even when the event covers a very large venue (such as
main and breakout rooms covering several floors of a hotel) I find that it
does not help to add 15 minutes (for example) break between sessions.
People either stay and talk and are late to their next session anyway, or
leave on time to get to their next session - making between-session breaks
does not seem to help or hinder them from doing so and from taking good care
of themselves according to their needs and interests.

One note that there are all different kinds of learners in any group -
though for people who are graphic learners or who have problems with number,
I find that 1-hour time slots is easier to remember.(maybe because they can
visualize a clock?).

Lisa

L i s a   H e f t

Consultant, Facilitator, Educator