evolving agendas

Christine Whitney Sanchez milagro27 at cox.net
Wed Feb 15 17:58:26 PST 2006

Thanks for asking the questions, Frank.  Has me thinking fondly of one of my
favorite Open Space experiences.

A couple of years ago, I  co-opened the space for a Latin American
Conference outside Guadalajara.  My colleague from the Dominican Republic
was giving the instructions in Spanish, me in English.  On day one, 10-15
topics were posted.  On day two, 25 more went up.  Same theme, same
convening question.  One of the participants from Guatemala explained to me
that when they heard about Open Space Technology, it sounded so
sophisticated that it made them all very shy - that perhaps their topics
wouldn't be "good enough."  But once they had experienced the process for a
day, they realized that the things they most wanted to discuss were exactly
the "right" topics.  In the closing circle, another participant from Mexico
said that she had thought that Open Space would be very "foreign" but in
fact, this is exactly how they always work in their culture.

Christine

Christine Whitney Sanchez
KAIROS Alliance Inc.
2717 E. Mountain Sky Avenue