The Art and Craft of Teaching Peace in OS

Melinda Salazar msalazar at cisunix.unh.edu
Sun Feb 12 11:21:55 PST 2006

Dear Friends,
Two high school colleagues are planning to host a second Teaching Peace
conference on April 1, 2006 in New Hampshire, this time using OS and
WC.  New Hampshire is a backwater where no one has heard of OS (and
apologies to those on this list who may live in NH), so we and our
participants are in a transitional stage of shifting paradigms.  For a
traditional conference, this is the time when we would be securing
presenters/workshop leaders, in otherwords, communicating with the
"experts."  As we move forward to announce the conference to the
general public, we have several questions.

1.  How do we market the conference to a public who generally does not
know who OS is and who might be looking for the big name/keynote
speaker and workshop leaders? That is, a traditional conference would
list speakers and workshops to draw participants.  Last year, we
offered 5 workshop tracks.  Since we don't know who is coming yet this
year, how can we advertise the conference? Should we plant some
conveners in our participant group who have offered sessions at the
previous conference?

2.  How do we get those "experts" to attend and to see themselves as
participants who both have something to offer and gain from the
experience?

Thanks,
Melinda Salazar and Kay Morgan
Oyster River High School