Poetry in languages of the Iberian Peninsula

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Wed Feb 15 19:25:08 PST 2006

Hello, dear colleagues –

For this message I am wearing my tiara as the inviter of poetry.

When I asked for poetry on anything reflecting Open Space in Portuguese,
dear Florian sent me this message, which I now share with you:

... and why not poetry as well in spanish
while artur and I and some more are travelling
round the comon axis on the same iberian-peninsula ...

And what a marvelous idea.

The Iberian Peninsula is in the extreme southwest of Europe – inclusive of
the regions of Spain, Portugal, Gibraltar and Andorra.

Languages spoken in the Iberian Peninsula can or have included

Basque

Catalan

Portuguese

Spanish

Ladino

Mirandese

Galician

Llanito

Aragonese

Asturian

Occitan / Aranese

oh yes, and English.

and
historically
.

Mozarabic

Aljamia

Arabic

Hebrew

Latin

Leonese

Berber

Romance

Lusitanian

Celtiberian

Tartessian

(who knew? How richly textured, the linguistic history and present of the
Iberian Peninsula.  I looked it up.)

So now, I welcome poetry reflective of Open Space in all languages of the
Iberian Peninsula, past and present.  You can translate them into English,
but you do not have to – feel free to write them in their original language
only – there will be those on this list who will understand
and enjoy.  And
those of us who do not understand the language can look at the text and
breathe and feel spirit from the words – our bodies and cells will
understand, even if our brains may not.

If your poetry is in a different alphabet than we use here on the list,
perhaps you’d like to share a link with us to where we can read it on the
web.  Enjoy.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Here, now, is Florian’s poem:

it´s about »now«. I dedicated it  a year ago to a spanish client
after we had spoken about open space / espacio abierto.

ahora

yo no digo no nada,
no buddha, no zen, no tao,
no tengo ninguna idea