Looking for advice: Is this a time where OS should not be used?

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Thu Feb 9 19:07:54 PST 2006

Hi, Allison --

Allison wrote:
< I am wondering if I should continue to push for OS if it can only be
slotted in for a day especially if it follows 2 days which are more
keynote/presenter oriented. I think that it is taking a risk that I am
not sure is worth taking as I am not convinced that it will work. I
would really appreciate hearing your views/opinions especially if you
have done something similar which actually worked.>

It works, it works.  Never fear.

I have done it several times.  Sure, I have tried to get folks to see
the wisdom of doing the whole thing in OS, but there you go - they don't
always see the light ;o)

But they did see the partial light because they are asking for OS.  And
you have done the right thing because the OS is *after* the other stuff.

And yes, I find it's best to do exactly what you are doing - to help
make the keynotes and plenaries and panels as interactive as possible.
Even to hold them all with the circle as the format.

Most importantly is to try either keep the speeches away from the Open
Space days entirely, or to make a delicious break (moving, talking,
changing places, dancing, whatever) before the OS (if speeches have to
happen the same day) so the bodies wake up and are ready to spring into
Open Space.

And yes, closing circle can be closing circle for the conference.and
yes, you will find that many people comment that they want the next one
to be all in Open Space.

I have done this as others have mentioned, in the spirit of 'what more
do we need to learn / share / teach / puzzle out / invite with one
another before we all go our separate ways?'

Oh, and I am smiling because Harrison is invoking a 'Lisaism' - how I
say that only visionaries invite in Open Space.

So maybe their vision is partial, but they are letting in the light.  I
hope you can feel comfortable to give them the nutrition you really know
their bodies-minds-hearts desire, in spite of their fear about providing
controlled presentations for some reason.

By the way, I did indeed do an Open Space in Thailand, with doctors,
nurses, educators and activists from all over Asia, at the last
international AIDS conference (Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and other
countries).  Needless to say, everyone knew just what to do and all I
had to do was get out of the way..

Have the very best time,

Lisa

PS if you have the signs translated or any of the other phrases I would
love to add them to the Open Space glossary of terms and phrases I have
at my website, for all of us to use and share.
http://www.openingspace.net/glossary.php?all

PPS: They are very lucky to have you.
L i s a   H e f t
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator