looking for stories/summaries of OS used for conferences and with speakers

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Wed Dec 27 17:00:15 PST 2006

Hi Zelle:

In October, Sera Thompson and I opened space for basically a day and a half
in Denver at the Placematters06 conference.  We followed Steven Johnson, who
gave a great talk on emergence and self-organization, after which we got to
work on innovation in land use planning in the western United States.

We recorded everything on a wiki, and the results are here:

http://www.placematters.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=171

Here is a recent story about an Open Space with youth that began which a
multimedia performance from the youth themselves which seeded conversations
on human rights violations in inner city Vancouver:

http://www.chriscorrigan.com/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.ThePeoplesGathering

A series of three open space on legal rights and child welfare.  Each OS
began with a panel of speaker outlining the law on child welfare and then
the community used OS to talk about ways of improving things.

http://www.chriscorrigan.com/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.PublicLegalEducationForAboriginalFamilies

I hope these are useful.

Chris

On 12/22/06, Zelle Nelson <zelle at knowplacelikehome.com> wrote:

> Hello ~
> I'm looking for stories - summaries - of Open Space used in conjunction
> with conferences involving
> speakers or presentations.
>
> I've collected and written some of our own experiences, done a a quick
> search of the archives,
> and checked out several of the excellent practitioner websites and now I'm
> asking the list for more...
>
> What I've about so far is:
>
> In Asheville, NC, a loose community that was coming together around the
> 2004 election and a desire for change gathered to hear a speech by Col.
> Robert Bowman. Out of a 3-hour, 70-person Open Space following the speech
> the Kindness Campaign - www.thekindnesscampaign.org was created and has
> been sustained to the present.
>
> 200 highly-motivated professional financial planners joined for 4 days (2
> days of presentations and training), 1 1/2 days in Open Space for their
> annual conference to discuss best practices in their own businesses. These
> professionals connected so deeply that in the closing circle on the last day
> there was not a single dry eye as they shared their experiences. The impact
> and flow of information accessed at this conference was unprecedented in the
> 15 year history of this particular conference.
>
> For 4 days 80 drilling and technology engineers from bp (British
> Petroleum) representing 15 different countries joined together to share best
> practices and to focus on the future of their company and industry. The
> schedule included various presentations followed by Open Space, for the
> first 3 days and ended on the 4th day with 9 different teams heading up 12
> different initiatives to be carried out in the coming year.
>
> In 2000, 300 business leaders from around the world were gathered together
> by Fast Company Magazine and met for 3 days of inspiring speeches and Open
> Space focused on building a community of professionals. Countless
> partnerships, connections and projects were launched and supported by this
> amazing conference.
>
> Does anyone have any stories they could share?
>
> with grace and love,
>
> *Zelle*
>
> Zelle Nelson
> Know Place Like Home/Engaging the Soul at Work/State of Grace Document
>
> www.knowplacelikehome.com
> www.engagingthesoulatwork.com
> www.stateofgracedocument.com
>
> *zelle at knowplacelikehome.com*