In Praise of Murli

Murli Nagasundaram murli at boisestate.edu
Fri Dec 1 15:33:52 PST 2006

Harrison, thank you very much.  My brown skin notwithstanding, my cheeks
are almost turning ruddy with embarrassment.   Embarrassment because,
really, I am doing so little to keep this going.  One needs to keep in
the perspective the fact that there would be no OSLIST if there were no
OS, and no OS if there were no Owen.  I am grateful and delighted to a
small part of a big community and movement, one that is very clearly a
force for good in this world ... and heaven knows we need a lot of that
in these times of needless and senseless strife.  Because of a dear
friend of mine, I got to spend a couple of weeks in Palestine, Israel
and Jordan last summer (including a few days in a refugee camp), and
there I found far more warmth, goodwill and deep sense of history and
culture than the media would allow to be presented.  Movements (if you
will allow such a term) such as OS create alternative connections among
peoples from the ground up, challenging established notions, defeating
institutionalized perceptions, recreating the world in way that really
makes so much more sense.

Thanks to you, Harrison, and the entire OS community,

Cheers, all, and warmest regards during the chilliest of months,

Murli

Murli Nagasundaram, Ph.D.
Boise State University, College of Business
Boise, ID 83725, USA
http://www.murli.com
murli at boisestate.edu
ph: (208) 426-3905
fax: (208) 426-1135
>>> " Harrison Owen" <hhowen at verizon.net> 12/01/06 12:45 PM >>>
Many people have commented on the quality and vitality of this wonderful
OSLIST. Some have even wondered how we did it - hoping to copy the
approach
for their own organization. Needless to say they were disappointed to
learn
that OSLIST seems to happen pretty much by itself - self organizing as
it
were. Well that is almost true, but there is one well kept secret.

Some many years ago Murli Nagasundaram came to an Open Space event, an
OSONOS I believe. As he was leaving he asked whether we might want a
listserve in order to stay in contact. And since he worked for Boise
State
in something to do with computers, he could and would make the necessary
arrangements. All the rest is history, but part of that history has been
well kept secret - Murli. I can't ever remember seeing him online, nor
can I
remember ever seeing him face-to-face again. But not a day goes by that
I am
not thankful for his continuing presence, and of course also for the
computer capacity of Boise State. They run OSLIST as a public service,
we
have never been charged - and when things get a little screwy, as
recently -
the fix is virtually instantaneous.

So here's to Murli with many thanks!

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20854
Phone 301-365-2093
Skype hhowen
<http://www.openspaceworld.com/>

Personal website www.ho-image.com
OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the
archives
Visit: www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html
<http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>