OST for Office Conflict. Yes or No?

Jaime Pedreros jpedrerosf at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 17:31:52 PDT 2006

Hello Elwin,

It is a nice opportunity to give my perspective about this
seems-to-meet-in-conflict OS gathering.

Few months ago I faced a similar situation when a company called me for
carrying out a needs assessment job for designing a program to improve the
team working environment. What I did not know was that the manager was
wanting to fire two workers; one of them was his assistant manager who
happened to be on vacation at the moment of the diagnosis.

It is my guess the boss's desire is to put the 2 person "in evidence"
perhaps on their attitude towards working as a team or on some other similar
aspect. This is an everyday situation in South America. Some questions came
to my mind i.e. why did this office choose a training event/conference to
have or to look for a reason? Why did the new boss (or someone else) give
you this information? What are his/her expectations about the event, the
outcome and your performance? How is he/she going to relate your
conference/outcome with having these 2 person gone? Are you going to be used
by the boss? Perhaps you would not want to know the answers…

I work consistently on Human Relations and make an extensive use of
Transactional Analysis tools. If you have a chance, take a look to Eric
Berne's *Games People Play*. One of these games is one called "got you damn
it!" or something like that; when someone with power (the pursuer) gives
confidence and a sense of trust to a subordinate (the victim) so this person
acts freely and according to his/her own convictions just to provide the
necessary evidence for not so evident pursuer's purposes. The triangle is
completed by the rescuer/savior (perhaps you) and in some instances the
pursuer turns against the savior if things do not go as desired. Did you
find something similar to your situation?

In fact Open Space gives the perfect setting; *be prepared to be
surprised*and take care to warn everybody about this (including
yourself).

Good luck!

Jaime