OS with Artists

Harrison Owen hhowen at adelphia.net
Wed Aug 23 14:26:07 PDT 2006

OS with ArtistsFurther to Anne's posting. . . but in a little different vein. some years ago the Arts Councils of the USA had annual meetings to sharpen their trade. These meeting were the usual talking head, special sessions, etc -- and each year the people went home frustrated, bored and sometimes mad. On the last meeting (this was a 5 year grant program from the Pew foundation), somebody found Open Space. Pew almost had a fit because it sounded totally out of control, and in fact they tried their very best to stop it. Failing that they insisted that at least the program start with a panel of speakers. Presumably they were "experts" b ut it was the usual -- however they did not draw the usual response. Three quarters way through a large black man stood up in the rear of the auditorium and said something to the effect -- I don't know what Open Space is supposed to be -- but this is fuckin-A NOT open space. And he left. The place was reduced ed to pandemonium -- and the sponsors quickly turned to the facilitator (not me) and said Help!

The circle was formed, space opened, and 250 highly gifted artists (graphic, plastic, musical, and whatever) -- went for it -- Enhancing the Arts in the Communities: Issues and opportunities.

God knows how many sessions were proposed, but few were announced in the "standard way." Dance sessions were "danced," music sessions were Sung/drummed/played, etc.

And then the fun began!

The closing session (which I have only seen on a very bad video) was incredible. 250 artists co-created, in the moment, an impromptu of major proportions.

HO

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr.
Potomac, MD  20854