Advanced Butterfly Behavior

Mark R. Jones mark.r.jones at sunyata.ws
Tue Aug 15 10:00:26 PDT 2006

Hi H (Harrison) and Peggy.

Hmmmmmmmmmm . . .

There is an element here for me that is implied in Peggy's
piece and your response to it that I would like to explore . . .

The "butterfly" phenomena in OST has been widely acknowledged
by you and others.  As a dedicated "butterfly" myself, I find
that I do have some reflections on the topic that Peggy has raised.

In my "butterfly-ness", I assemble, attract, and/or am attracted
to people with which I typically have very intense, personal, and
private conversations with.  These conversations occur in both 1:1
and group forms. H, over the years, you and I have had these types
of interactions with each other -- in the midst of OS events.

In my "butterfly-ness", I discern  who I want to be in conversation
with -- The Law of Two Feet -- and then act upon that discernment.
As you know H, I rarely actually attend "called" (posted) sessions.

Yet, I feel welcome to play in Open Space -- not negatively judged
for my discernment -- my exercise of The Law of Two Feet.

In my "butterfly-ness", I learn to hear, see, and love other people.
And perhaps others learn to hear, see, and love me and each other.
I acquire and refine insights and discover connections.

Unfortunately, I rarely document my learnings within the formal
mechanisms of OST.  And my "public" sharings do not contain the
richness of the private details that I have discovered.

Yet, I feel that there is some common good that comes of it.
Some mutual sense of interconnection, compassion, and understanding
is established.  Some of the insights are returned to the public
forum. And, interpersonal relationships are established and/or
reinforced.

AND --- All of this occurs "outside" of the formal process and form
of OST.  "Butterfly-ness" is acknowledged by the process, and held
by the form of OST.  But it is not the practice-normed form of OST
which is essentially -- gatherings around publicly advertised topics
and conveners in specific places at specific times.

If in the two examples that Peggy gave, the participants had simply
"butterflyed" their intention to meet together -- there would have
been no public declaration and no public outrage and judgment, and
possibly no public sharing.  The "sessions" would have occurred outside
of the formal process and form of OST.

But I suspect that the session participants chose to try to in some way
to "honor" the formal process and form of OST by attempting to use some
of the OST mechanisms of "public" declaration.  This partial revelation
of intent created a public stir regarding what was in all likelihood
a space in which very personal and private conversations could occur.

Peggy's inquiry provokes me to ponder:
 * What ways does and can the formal process and form of OST more deeply
   embrace and benefit from "butterfly-ness"?
 * Does the formal process and form of OST fundamentally reject "private"
   conversation and its manifestation in some forms of "butterfly-ness"?
 * Is the manifestation of some forms of "butterfly-ness" as "private"
   conversation a perversion of OST?
 * Is acting upon "The Law of Two Feet" as a means of interpersonal
   relationship discernment a perversion of OST?
 * In the cultural norms of OST, am I required to give up my practice
   of choosing who I want to interact with?

Mark R. Jones
Chief Executive Officer
The Sunyata Group
The Integral Wellness Group