A Note for Josef

Patricia Black patblack at paulbunyan.net
Fri Aug 11 09:43:19 PDT 2006

I have read these posts with great interest and I hope great heart.  In reding
your post Josef I feel like I get a sense of the great isolation Israelis must
feel in the current situation but also in the general climate of polarization
that is growing in the world.  I am not sure I know what evil is exactly or that
I can always recognize it when I encounter it.  I sense that your definition
will serve as well as another.  There does seem to be a "Black Hole"
characteristic to it.  What I feel I have to add to the conversation is some
words about what is opening space.  I too am an artist and agree that opening
space is much like the creative process and like in the creative process the
opening provides a channel for whatever is there or possible to flow.  I know
for myself I go into art making with concrete ideas about the product that will
emerge.  But usually I am faced with letting go of my concrete intention if the
process and ultimately the product is to emerge.  In the end I always feel like
the physical channel for the art to emerge through.  Sometimes I like and feel
connected to what emerges and sometimes I have it.  My job is simply to know
when it is complete.

I do think that opening space is much the same.  It is not my job as the opener
to edit or judge what comes into the space.  My job is to keep the space open so
that all that is ready to flow into the circle can.  I close the space when I am
attached to an outcome for the space.  I really believe and trust in the process
so I stay focused on the principles of OST "whoever shows up is the right
person, whatever happens is the only thing that could happen etc".  Evil may and
does show up in the bodies, minds and experiences of the participants.  The
space is not opened for evil but it is open to evil.  And so it must be because
we all carry the seeds for evil.  All human beings have the capacity to nurture
those seeds. For me personally that is the only way to counter evil.  My belief
is that evil gets norishment, power and strength from fear and fear lives in
closed space.  Even physiologically when we feel fear our bodies limit blood
flow to only the essential parts of the body.  The evil superstars feed on fear.
 Fear is their oxygen.  Physically for me the way I face fear is to open space,
to open to whatever is creating the fear.  The process for me is exactly the
same as in art making the moment I face that something invisible to me wants to
manifest in the work.  there is a moment that I experience fear and
hopelessness.  If I do not open the space and let go of my preconceived ideas
the piece will never be completed.  But if i let go and just continue to open to
whatever I can complete the work.

In the context of this discussion I would agree with that the reports about
Israel and Lebanon seem biased.  The legitimacy of Lebanese fears seems to get
center stage.  More people are dying in Lebanon many of them are women, children
and elders.  I think it is even possible that Hezbollah counts on that being
true.  Manipulation of people's sympathies and fears is a tool of evil.  I have
not heard much about Israel's fears.  We are mostly informed about Israel's
might.  We hear nothing of Hezbollah's might and I do believe that staging your
battle in a place that insures the most civilian casualties which fuels
sympathies for your position is a powerful weapon. But thinking and talking
about the issue through that lense changes the discussion.  Fear is fear.  Pain
is pain.  Injustice is injustice.  Dead is dead.  One people's fear or pain is
not more legitimate than the others.  They all exist simultaneously whether we
choose to let them into the space or not.

I am sorry for the evil you face.
Pat Black