Open Space for small groups

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Fri Aug 11 08:31:04 PDT 2006

one more thing, justin...

this bit about you being the chair.  so you really won't be able to or
maybe not even want to 'get out of the way.'  you'll have something to
say, as well, in the meeting.  this is probably the biggest challenge.

people in this group presumably already know you.  some like you and
maybe some are not bestest buddies.  no matter, they all have ideas
about who you are and they have habits in relating to/with you.

when open space comes along and gets potentially challenging and maybe
even frustrating for them in some new ways, the ones who are close to
you might come and say "hey, fix this, old friend."  the ones not so
close to you might sit quietly grumbling, because they can't come to
you and make you fix their frustration.  the ones who don't know you
very well at all might associate their frustrations with you.  none of
this might happen, but all of it could.

the point is that anything you can do to make clear two hats -- one as
the steward of the meeting, where you know nothing and decide nothing
for the group, and one where you have expertise and passion and work
elbow-to-elbow with the group -- will be a big help.

the size isn't the biggest challenge, to me... it's this being with
them in two states, simultaneously -- and in ways that allow them to
sort out which hat you're wearing at any one time, not just for you to
be clear about that for yourself... and then there are the moments
where you wear both, inescapably, that will make the thing really
interesting for you in the moment, and also really productive on an
ongoing basis.  this group already knows you as chair/participant.  if
you establish the 'opener' role clearly, then you'll likely be able to
have some real fun going forward, drawing on both positions as serves
best.

--

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates