A Note from a Young Friend

funda oral fundaoral2003 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 10 22:37:31 PDT 2006

Can we do something to stop the war, Mr. Owen? Me, you, and the Imams and Rabbis who attended the congress in Seville? Can we take action? What can we do to stop the war? what can we do to make them realize that war won't do any good?
  and me?
  funda

Harrison Owen <hhowen at adelphia.net> wrote:
          Some of you may remember that during the Congress of Rabbis and Imans I met a wounderful young lady from Indonesia. I heard from her again today and thought our exchange might have some relevance for OSLIST.

  Dania wrote:

  Dear Mr. Owen,
  How are you? I'm Dania from Indonesia. I was a participant of the world congress of Imams and Rabbis for Peace in Seville, Spain, as a student of Children of Abraham. I met you there. I hope you're still remember me
  Mr. Owen, I'm very concerned about the war between Hezbollah and Israel in Lebanon.. I read the news about it everywhere. Yesterday,  I found a newspaper on my boss' desk. I stole it (hihihihi) while she was having lunch and read the news about Hezbollah and Israel. People died in Lebanon, most of them are children and old people. They bombed houses, buildings.. oh my God, I couldn't stand read it. I saw the news on the TV, too. They showed the picture of the victims in lebanon, the children, the amunitions, people suffered...
  On my way back home from the office, I turned my radio on and heard the news about Hezbollah and Israel (again and again and again!).after the news, they played one of my favourite songs, Imagine, sang by 2 singers, an arabic man and a french woman. they sang the song in 3 languages: arabic, french, and english. it was beautiful. i've heard this song many times, but when I heard it yesterday, I cried.. I was very upset about this war and all. whjat is wrong with this world?? why do they do that? what for? Can't they stop the war, make peace, and live happily together? what's wrong with peace? why do they reject peace? what do they want now? when is it going to be over?
  Can we do something to stop the war, Mr. Owen? Me, you, and the Imams and Rabbis who attended the congress in Seville? Can we take action? What can we do to stop the war? what can we do to make them realize that war won't do any good?
  I can't find any answer for these questions.. I feel hopeless.
   Dania

  I replied:
  Of course I remember you! And with great affection!! As for Hezbollah and Isreal. . . I am afraid that this may be one of those times in Human history when all the things we should done and did not, along with all the things we should not have done and did -- now come due. It is rather like the situation when we do not take care of our health and suddenly we find that we have a bad infection and a fever. That fever will now run it's course. Sooner or later it will break but whether that break occurs before major damage has been done, or after, remains to be seen. Being a Human Being is a constant learning process, and sometimes that learning can be very painful. But the greatest tragedy would be not to learn. So for my self, I feel neither helpless nor hopeless. To be sure I do not have the power to separate Israel and Hezbollah, nor do I think that those who may think they have the power (Presidents, Kings, Imams, Rabbis, etc) could do any better. And even if they were
 to be successful in Lebanon -- the underlying causes would remain, and the fever would break out again. So what to do? Speaking only for my self, I intend to keep opening space so that wonderful people such as you can experience that "playground" (as you called it) in which real people with real differences can meet each other with respect. And if you are looking for something to do right now -- you could try the same thing.

  God Luck! And thank you for remembering me!!

  Harrison

  Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr.
Potomac, MD  20854
USA
301-365-2093
207-763-3261 (summer)
website www.openspaceworld.com
Personal Website www.ho-image.com

* * ========================================================== OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU ------------------------------ To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu: http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html To learn about OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs: http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist