A Note from a Young Friend

Jon Harvey only.connect at virgin.net
Tue Aug 8 01:50:53 PDT 2006

Joralt & Shay

Like Filiz,  I do not accept your premis that there is some 'evil' that open
space can allow in. Evil acts, in my view, are a consequence of
misunderstanding, oppression, inequality etc etc. If we are ever to find a
resolution to conflict in the Middle East (and yes it is worldwide Shay -
there is a lack of community cohesion everywhere - I am in the middle of
reading Bradford's attempt to become a more peaceful city in the North of
England http://www.bradfordvision.net/pdf/cc_action.pdf for my work in this
area in the UK) - it can only come about - in the end - by talking and
listening. If we are not talking, listening ~and~ respecting - we end up
commiting more acts of violence. Believing that there are 'evil' people is
but one short step away from saying that negotiation, listening & building
peace can ~never ever~ work. There is then only one other solution left...
and we have been there before... I, for one, do not wish to return to that
part of our collective history.

I refuse to accept that terrorism and violence are the way!

I have observed - though it is still very much an ongoing process - that in
Ireland that the forces of violence are on the decline. Widespread terrorism
based on the Irish issue is fortunately not around in the UK anymore - altho
there is still some violence in parts of Northern Ireland. It is a long
process. But it did not come about through strength of arms by the British
government, or firing rockets over borders. It was in the end about dialogue
and (I would contend) economic development - Ireland has seen a huge boom in
recent years.

We have to ask the questions why? Why do people want to destroy Israel? Why
do people choose to kill themselves and others - rather than talk and
listen? Why do people believe that violence can stop violence? Why do people
hate so much?

Yours in peace and love

Jon
Oxford, UK