Walking the circle: first time

Beverley Neff bev at cariboolinks.com
Tue Aug 8 15:34:18 PDT 2006

Hello everyone,

This last weekend I facilitated my first OST meeting, for the
Compassionate Listening Project's 3rd Annual Summer Gathering. As you
can imagine, they were a gentle group to work with! 50 people gathered
at Camp Brotherhood near Mt. Vernon WA for  two and a half days, the
last day and a half in open space. By all reports, the participants
were delighted with their time in open space and left having
accomplished their goals of rejuvenation, reconnection and celebration
of community. Once again OST worked, and I was delighted to to see my
preparations, inner and outer, culminate in a quick transition for the
group from a blank agenda wall to a vibrant marketplace.

And of course there were many teachings for me. I learned that in spite
of any "opener's remorse" I might experience for forgetting to mention
something, when it's over it's over. And I learned that it is hard to
be invisible while holding space, at least with this group. They kept
inviting me to pull up a chair!

Thanks so much to Chris Corrigan --  (for welcoming my inquiries about
training a year ago, and then providing it), to Susan Partnow, (who
usually opens space for these folks and generously filled me in about
what would be needed), and to Leah Green, director of CLP and lover of
Open Space, who invited me to get over my "first-time terrors" by
opening space for her group.

This OSLIST continually teaches and inspires me.  I can't thank you
enough for the wisdom, depth and humour in your postings. Recently I
took great note of the support you extended to Ted as he faced his
first Open Space -- I took it all as meant for me too of course -- and
it really helped!

Blessings from sunny Saturna Island on the West Coast of Canada,

Beverley Neff