Found Poem -- June 8 to August 23, 2006 -- Opening Space for Conflict and Peace

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Wed Aug 23 09:43:20 PDT 2006

Hello, dear colleagues -

For the past several months I have held the honor of being the OSLIST Poet
Laureate.  With awe and respect I have gathered your words to create 'found
poems' to share back with you all, as inspired by our colleague and past
Poet Laureate, Ms. Laurel Doersam of Canada.  You can find some of the other
found poems I have shared by searching in the OSLIST archives and using the
key words "Found Poem" in the "subject is or contains." area of the search
page.  Titles included "Holding / My Truest Self / Space", "The Mystery of
Open Space" and "Touch the Now."  You may remember some of the words I share
with you below from a conversation thread with the titles of "A note from a
young friend" and "A note for Josef".  This is a long poem.  Pour yourself a
cup of tea.     Lisa

Opening Space for Conflict and Peace

Found Poem -- June 8 to August 23, 2006

I'm very concerned about the war

I read the news about it everywhere.

I found a newspaper

and read the news

People died

children and old people.

oh my God, I couldn't stand to read it.

I saw the news on the TV

people suffered...

I turned my radio on and heard the news

After the news,

I cried.

What is wrong with this world??

Why do they do that?

What for?

Can't they stop the war,

make peace,

and live happily together?

What's wrong with peace?

Why do they reject peace?

What do they want now?

When is it going to be over?

Can we do something to stop the war?

Me, you, and the Imams and Rabbis?

Can we take action?

What can we do to stop the war?

What can we do to make them realize

that war won't do any good?

Why do people want to destroy ?

Why do people choose to kill themselves

and others -

rather than talk and listen?

Why do people believe that violence can stop violence?

Why do people hate so much?

I can't find any answer for these questions.

I feel hopeless.

A leaf in the storm of world wide war.

I sometimes despair

and hear with disbelief

the vacuous statements

by our so called leaders.

Presidents, Kings, Imams, Rabbis

I am afraid that this may be one of those times

when all the things we should have done

and did not,

all the things we should not have done

and did --

now come due

I am new in this place.

since it is a time of war

Why do you think

that space

is limited only

to love and good?

Isn't space unlimited by definition?

Do you believe

that terrorists will sit with you

in open space circles

that perhaps opening space

with Bin Laden

could have prevented the attack on the World Trade Center?

Being a Human Being is a constant learning process,

and sometimes that learning can be very painful.

But the greatest tragedy

would be not to learn.

I am not sure

that Opening Space

with or for Bin Laden

would have done much good,

but I am pretty sure

that had we (all of us)

diligently opened space for the peoples of the world

so that the chaos, confusion and conflict

that inevitably occur in the course of human living

might have found resolution

prior to

explosion --

the Bin Ladens of this world would find little fuel for their fires.

That did not happen and the fires are burning.

It could have been different, I believe --

and may still be different

if we get to work.

Fear is fear.  Pain is pain.  Injustice is injustice.  Dead is dead.

One people's fear or pain is not more legitimate than the others.

It has never been more important than now

to create the spaces

for people to come together,

and through dialogue,

be reminded

that we are all human

and

what joins us

is so much much more

than what divides us.

for my self, I feel neither helpless nor hopeless.

In my understanding of life and humanity,

Evil is not evil for the sake of being evil

Terrorists do not become terrorists for the sake of being terrorists.

It all comes out of some closed, oppressed space.

There is only chance

and hope

in opening space

and hearts

and inviting

to witness

one another.

I hope our friends fellows neighbours

also feel,

they are not alone!

I wish them love

and strength

and courage

and that they, too,

do not feel help-

and hopeless.

It is supporting to know there are many,

who will keep on going in the spirit of Open Space

everyone in her and his place of the world

believing

that if I can
help just two people

to really hear

and listen

to each other -

and rediscover their common humanity -

then it is still worth

carrying on.

your words

brought such comfort

at this moment.

It makes me think

that what I offer

just might have some real value

after all.

I now feel less helpless.

And I know you are right,

the fever has to run its course -

it is sometimes just so hard when it hits so close.

I do not accept

that there is some 'evil'

that open space can allow in.

I refuse to accept

that terrorism and violence are the way!

Evil acts, in my view,

are a consequence

of misunderstanding, oppression, inequality

If we are ever to find a resolution to conflict

it can only come about - in the end -

by talking

and listening.

If we are not talking, listening ~and~ respecting -

we end up commiting more acts of violence.

Believing that there are 'evil' people

is but one short step away

from saying

that negotiation, listening & building peace

can ~never ever~ work.

It is a long process.

It does not come about

through strength of arms

or firing rockets over borders

It is in the end about dialogue

What shows up in Open Space

is just plain people,

who come in all shapes and sizes

with multiple desires, histories and passions.

Even in violently conflicted environments,

the people soon find themselves

with more in common than difference.

To be sure

the conversations may be loud and confrontational --

but for the most part,

they are conducted with respect --

which often turns into hope

and trust,

and strangely,

even affection.

To be sure there are psychopaths and thugs.

Every society has them --

but when the space of that society

is kept open

the pathology of such people

can be marginalized

and the toxins they produce

flushed away.

when we close space,

build walls,

seek to dominate and control

these same toxins are concentrated

and eventually become lethal.

We know all about that, I think.

By accepting  the existence of evil

we can allow it to move out from our space.

In vastness of the Space

which is the matrix of all that exists

there can be a place for evil

but it doesn't have to be our space.

Opening space is a sacred work

that should create a safe heaven

and a sacred ground for love to feel safe enough

to manifest and flourish

That there is evil in this world is not a question,

although it is interesting that

my evil

may well be

your good

and visa versa.

And denial of the presence of evil,

no matter how it may be defined and understood,

is not a healthy characteristic for any human being.

The role of the facilitator occupies a space

beyond, beneath, outside of all elements

of "blame and judgment"

this can be a real tough space to occupy.

"Whoever comes is the right people"

"Whatever happens is the only thing that could have."

These go to the heart of the matter.

The people who show up

and the events that take place

simply

"are"

and one must deal with them

as they are.

Obviously everything "could" have been different.

And indeed, one might have hoped that they would have been different.

But the fact remains, they are what they are.

I don't see this as "denial" in the least --

it is simply and profoundly

the radical acceptance

of things as they are

in the present moment.

Assuming the role of Space Opener is a "sacred work."

It can also be excruciatingly difficult,

and perhaps impossible for some people

at some times.

We need to be fully "there" --

in the present moment --

regardless of what we may think about it personally.

Many of the policies and actions of both sides

can feel short sighted, repugnant, and downright evil.

There may be more than sufficient blame to spread around.

As long as anything is seen as "opposing side"

the chances for peace decreases.

During the course of our days together

we may feel our own internal anger, fear, doubt, frustration

sometimes so intensely that we become practically immobilized.

At such times, our only recourse may be to withdraw to our room

or to take a long walk --

in search of our own centered presence.

To be very honest,

there may be moments when we do not think we can handle it --

but somehow, some way

we may find ourselves

drawn, pushed, shoved

to discover parts of ourselves and our own resources

that we have never seen before.

And in almost every case,

the needed strength, insight, calm

may come from a few words of just a silent look from one of the participants
--

who in a marvelous and magical way

have become openers and holders

of the space.

In truth, we all do it,

and the results are mindblowing

There are times when our own personal

agenda, experience, feelings

are so strong

that it is impossible to rise above them.

And the remarkable thing is that

in every instance

somebody else who could stand in that space did so.

And if we ever reach a day

when nobody can step forward,

it will be a dark day indeed --

for the possibility space for human life will simply close.

But we are not there yet,

and goodness knows we have a lot of work to do.

When we open space

even sworn, lifelong enemies

who are convinced that the "others"

represent the epitome of evil --

find a way to treat each other

with respect,

and more often than not,

come to some reasonable and responsible solutions

for the issues at hand,

no matter how painful and conflicted.

Will this always be true?

I cannot say, but that has been my experience

I intend to keep opening space

so that wonderful people such as you

can experience that "playground"

in which real people with real differences

can meet each other

with respect.

And if you are looking for something to do right now --

you could try the same thing.

So - here's to large circles

and deep listening,

wide openness

and huge respect!

And somewhere

everything

and everybody

is connected

and every action

will have an effect

for all of us.

I am new in this place.

It may take time -

but we can get there!

Peace.

Imagine.

By Dania Pratiwi,Juliane Ade, Jon Harvey, Argene Carswell, Josef Ralt,
Harrison Owen, Shay Ben Yosef, Filiz Telek, Pat Black, Funda Oral and Lisa
Heft

August 23, 2006

L i s a   H e f t

Consultant, Facilitator, Educator