School and Community Partnership

John Engle john at johnengle.net
Sat Aug 12 08:38:11 PDT 2006

Friends,

I'm working with a highly motivated and well-connected
planning committee toward building a "school and
community partnership" in Pottstown, PA, which is a
suburb of Philadelphia. They are dealing with
challenges of violence, high drop-out rates, substance
abuse, and crime.

Here's the link to learn more:

http://www.pottstownschools.com/pottstown/Community%20-%20Alumni%20-%20Athletics/School%20and%20Community%20Partnership

Jennifer, to respond to your question, after I had
worked with grantwriter to make sure that open space
was part of the process, and the grant was approved:

1) I met with school superintendent and grant-writer
to outline a game plan and schedule first meeting with
planning committee which would also include district
justice, chief of police, exec director of local
mental health agency.

2) Met with 5 member planning committee to plan 1)
first open space meeting and 2) meeting with a large
group of "advisors" (mayor, president of chamber of
commerce, exec director of united way, key
philanthropists, etc) to communicate our intentions
re: open space and get their feedback on draft
invitation for the open space. meeting lasted 2 hours.

3) convened advisors--about 17 of the 21 invited were
present--to communicate intentions, get feedback on
letter and develop list of invitees for open space.
meeting lasted one hour and 15 minutes.

4) planning committee will meet one more time before
open space meeting. i expect it to be an hour and a
half meeting.

we expect first open space meeting (Sept 20th-9 am to
4 pm) will have about 80 participants and and second
one (Nov 29) could have many more.

John

http://circlesofchange.com participatory learning & leadership
http://harvesttime.cc harvesting for justice that all may have enough