innovative organizations

Mark R. Jones (AT&T) mark_r_jones at att.net
Thu Apr 27 17:45:47 PDT 2006

Hi Glory.

Your inquiry prompted to me to return to my working notes from ten years
ago, when I was into doing a hundred plus OSes a year in the service of
large-scale cultural transformation (transformation of individual and
collective consciousness) in corporations and government.

            I share an extract from my notes ------

5 Observations About Improving Empirical Processes (Process Improvement):
 Step-1: Process Analysis & Simplification
 Step-2: Process Measurement
 Step-3: Process Management
 Step-4: Process Automation & Tool Development
 Step-5: Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI)

6 Observations About Desired Outcomes of Process Improvements:
 (1) Sustainable Livelihood for both the individual and the organization
 (2) Community sustains the development and support of the individual
 (3) Innovation is both cause and effect of improvement of the human
     condition
 (4) Leadership capacity increases for individuals and organization
 (5) Political savvy means getting people to -- consistently and without
     coercion -- speak and do things that they might have resistance to
 (6) Learning is codified, increased, and continued at both an individual
     and organizational level

7 Observations About Creativity:
 (1) Energy is neither created nor destroyed -- it is transformed from one
     form to another form
 (2) Transformation of energy requires its liberation from one form to
     another form
 (3) Liberation of energy requires an investment ­ a focused application of
     energy
 (4) Energy must be invested in a system to liberate energy in that system
 (5) Creativity requires the availability of energy beyond the level
     required for survival
 (6) Sustained creativity requires ongoing liberation of energy
 (7) Sustained creativity requires a sustained investment

7 Observations About Innovation:
 (1) Transformation of Consciousness requires its liberation from one form
     to another form
 (2) Liberation of Consciousness requires an investment ­ a focused
     application of Intention
 (3) Intention must be invested in a pursuit to liberate creative energy.
 (4) Innovation is creativity applied to a specific goal
 (5) Innovation occurs as a result of the trust, hearts, and minds of people
 (6) Innovation is not about process improvement, it is about improvement of
     the human condition
 (7) Innovation follows liberation through ³safety², disclosure,
     empowerment, and service

7 Observations About Organizations:
 (1) The purpose of the organization is to enable and support the
     development of its members -- in service to other Stakeholders
     (communities, customers | clients, suppliers, government, competitors)
 (2) The organization (and individual) must thrive in order to fulfill its
     purpose
 (3) For commercial organizations, thriving means the accumulation of energy
     in the form of "profit";  for non-profit organizations, thriving means
     the accumulation of energy in the form of generative actions and
     communications of its members and other Stakeholders
 (4) "Profit" and "generativity" are the stored energy that when liberated,
     sustains the members of the organization -- and fulfills the
     obligations to other Stakeholders
 (5) Organizations that enable and support the development of their members,
     release creative energy
 (6) Released creative energy can be intentionally focused on a specific
     organizational goal: this is the dynamic called Innovation
 (7) Organizations must provide their members with a unifying vision,
     purpose, language, experience, passion, effort, mindfulness, and focus

Although I might well use different language today, I find that the notes
still convey my insights, experience, and passion for the work.

I hope that they may be of some value (and amusement) to you . . .

Mark R. Jones
Chief Executive Officer
The Sunyata Group
The Integral Wellness Group