Open Space intro at Google Headquarters--I'm looking for intro ideas

Elwin and Joan elwinandjoan at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 21 12:40:16 PDT 2006

Matthew, welcome to the List!

Getting an "In" with Google would make any of our heads spin.

You mentioned doing a "tech talk" and thinking talking "about" open
space would be boring. Not so! Skip the "mechanics" of
facilitation/participation and get to the soul of OST. A technology
that creates an environment where the needed actions for all issues are
"self organized".

I am certain that Harrison will address your questions but, if not,
take the time to pursue the LIST's archives and read his writings. They
are clear, simple and profound!!

You do NOT need more time. I think your job is to be a "story teller".
A one-hour story about the successful use of OST with groups from all
walks of life and around the world should do it.

The story starts with something like this,” Imagine being faced with a
complex and critical problem. One that has dogged the organization
forever without solution. Imagine that many powerful individuals have a
stake in this issue and have very strong views of what should be done.
Imagine that all prior group meetings about the problem broke down due
to contentious stances on the appropriate 'fix'."

Your story continues, "Well if you recognize this predicament I have
good news for you. It is precisely this type of scenario that has built
Open Space Technology's well-deserved reputation for "self organized
success. Open Space Technology was NOT designed to deal with problem
circumstances. Rather, problem circumstances were designed for Open
Space!"

The other elements for the "story' are contained in ANYONE of
Harrison's books.

peace,

Elwin Guild
Future Development International