OSLIST Digest - 8 Apr 2006 to 9 Apr 2006 (#2006-98)

Diane Brandon diane.brandon at comcast.net
Mon Apr 10 06:01:30 PDT 2006

This is quite different from a Pow Wow, which doesn't have an
individual host, but is more community focused. There's a good website,
with video clips, about pow wows at
http://www.csulb.edu/~aisstudy/powwow/index.html

 From that website:

  The word "powwow," which we associate with the powwow celebrations, or
with powwow dances, actually began as a name. The term came from the
Algonkian-speaking Narragansett Indians of the Northeastern part of the
country we call today the United States. The word referred, not to a
dance or celebration, but refered to a shaman or teacher, a dream or
vision, or a council or gathering. When the English met with Indian
leaders they would "powwow together," or in Indian society one might
visit a "powwow" because of his or her healing powers.

  The powwow as we know it today and is shown in these video clips was
largely influenced by the Indian people of the Great Plains in the
early 1800s and had its roots in the celebrations of North American
tribes long before European entrance into the western hemisphere. In
those days, Indian people gathered at various times of the year to
hunt, plant, gather and to celebrate. They came together to renew
family, clan, and tribal ties as well as to forge social and political
alliances, celebrate victories, and to practice religious and spiritual
ceremony. Young Indian men and women met and courted and marriages were
often agreed upon or arranged at these gatherings.

Diane