SOS for OS!

Frank Deitle commoikos at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 21:45:24 PDT 2006

Thank you OS emergency squad!

Even though I know your advise is true before I even ask, I am reassured by
your supportive reminders. You make me laugh Lisa, calling me a crankypants!
I can get so crankypants about OS and I hate that. It blocks me from finding
creative solutions and making the quality of connections that could lead to
productive organizational transformation. I had a good nap today during some
of the committee meetings and got some good writing done. I also had a few
inspiring side conversations. I've also had some ideas for how I can invite
OS into this organization down the line through a more productive kind of
long term dialogue and relationship building. I just get so impatient
sometimes.

As far as the emergency toolkit is concerned I think it would include some
of the things you all wrote: breathing, writing about what you are
passionate about, don't try to sell OS, butterflying around, use the law of
two feet, etc. I like Harrison's suggestion of an empty box too. Perhaps I
will flesh out these ideas and see if I could put together a real emergency
toolkit!

I keep wondering though about what happens at that turning point when you
identify frustrations with an established way of doing things and are having
that dialogue, how do people begin to effectively suggest OS as an option?
Here are some entries that have not worked for me: "Well, I know this method
that addresses all the things you are talking about..." (seems to generate
instant doubt), or using all the traditional elevator plugs for OS hasn't
seemed to get me very far either. And perhaps it is just the fact that I am
trying to "get somewhere" that gets me nowhere. I'd really like to hear some
real world experiences of a working dialogue at that crucial point that
generates genuine interest in a new approach.

Thanks again,
Senior Crankypants (Frank Deitle)