Evaluations - "Why and Why Not"

Jack Ricchiuto jack at designinglife.com
Mon Apr 3 17:21:49 PDT 2006

Your great reflections Birgitt, inspire me to post a list of 8 requirements
for authentic engagement I¹m using in an upcoming book project on community
and organization visioning.

1. Actionable invitation

People need to be invited into a question or issue that is actionable by
participants ­ something they can take and share responsibility for

2. Convener and participant transparency

Trust is one of more vital currencies that support genuine and sustainable
transactions, collaborations, and transformation. Trust requires
transparency. We let other people know where we stand, however much conflict
or consensus that attracts. We let people what we¹re up to. Negative
surprises are symptomatic of non-transparency. This goes for hosts and
conveners and participants alike.

3. Volunteer stakeholder participation

People support what they co-create.  Authentic engagement engages the
diverse universe of stakeholders in the community, especially if they have
historically been little or no voice in the process. Participation must be
voluntary; people need to feel free to participate or not.

4. Data-rich creativity

We need to keep the creative process grounded in and enriched by all kinds
of research and risk management. Decisions by data prevent decisions by
trust-destroying back-room dealing and engagement-killing decisions by
position and power.

5. Multiple approaches

Engagement is at its best when the community is free to consider multiple
futures. Multiple dream scenarios open doors to inclusionist options that
engage people¹s passions and strengths in deeper ways.

6. Transparent givens

People need to know what the constraint and governance process givens are.
They need to be real givens.

7. Sufficient time

People need to have enough time for meaningful participation in scope of
what they¹re invited to participate in

8. Equal access to information

There are no huge gaps in how much access people have to data required for
reality-based ideas and decisions

Jack

jack ricchiuto
two.one.six/three.seven.three/seven.four.seven.five
www.designinglife.com / www.appreciativeleadership.com