Chaos/Juggling curve ball..question

Phelim McDermott phelim at mac.com
Wed Apr 5 04:57:29 PDT 2006

Dear Marty,,

Thanks so much for your response to my juggling question. Sorry i
didn't reply sooner.. please blame it on the opening of our new show
this week "The Wolves in Walls" (a children's book about chaos by
Neil Gaiman) and a very long "BLUSH". Seems your compliments made me
shy. Thanks. I'm so pleased you've seen our shows.

I agree with what you say about the flow state this guy seems to be
in. and yes the holding of tension is there but also the fact that he
perhaps seems to go a bit further than he looks like he's going to.
These seem to be the moments the audience are responding to and yes
remind me of the moments of stillness/ silence/ tension before the
next flood of issues occur in open space.

The idea of letting go without structure is an interesting one.

Reminds me of the attitude some people have to the idea of
improvising and saying the first word that comes into one's head....

Often the edge is because people think if they do that it will be
"Nonsense" or "chaos"

"You cant just improvise and make it up.. it will be chaos" " Someone
has to control it in the end.." etc

However...  it is the control aspect which seemingly creates the
chaos and when people do manage to let go then we actually get form
and the stories.. "Just tell themselves" from the group mind if the
Impro Gods are smiling on us.

As keith Johnstone said once: "the product of a truly spontaneous
mind is not actually chaos .. but form."

Now i'm talking about performance here but what i've discovered
is..... Well I guess i'm saying is there such a thing as having no
structure anyway? Even if they're not explicit they are there. Just
our sensitivity to their presence is sometimes a bit dulled maybe.

So we learn impro games so that we can forget them like having a map
of a city for a while which we can then discard as we gain more
confidence about exploring the streets that are there... without the
map!

The map is not the territory

The rules are not the game.

but they help us start to play.

and perhaps we can notice that we haven't noticed when we still have
a map in our hands!

er.... and now i'm just talking nonsense!!

best wishes

Phelimx

I am very interested in your