commitments, transparency, state of grace documents

Chris Weaver chris at springbranch.us
Tue Apr 4 13:06:05 PDT 2006

Re: Is anything possible?These are very rich threads going on right now.

First, a thought about givens.  Having been both in the sponsor/formal
leader's shoes and the facilitator/consultant's shoes, I appreciate that
useful givens are not about control but about commitments that a sponsor is
living by.  Organizational leaders have made many commitments and
agreements, and fulfilling those commitments is a part of living with
integrity.  Commitments which have grown out of deep purpose generate a
powerful field.  (Commitments that have been made out of self-interest, a
weak purpose, or fear are another matter [welcome to control.])  Opening
space is one opportunity for a sponsor to share with (sometimes remind)
participants of key commitments.  Citing Jack Ricchiuto's requirements for
authentic engagement, such a sharing of commitments can enhance transparency
and establish deeper trust.

But as Jack reminds us, everyone carries such commitments, not just
organizational leaders, and transparency is needed all over.

Recently in a non-profit organization with 25 staff people, we developed
State of Grace Documents as an alternative to both employment contracts and
performance evaluations.  This is the most powerful experience of mutual
transparency I have yet had.  Because individual commitments, gifts, styles,
and callings are so complex, establishing transparency that is adaptive is
no easy feat.  State of Grace Documents, with a built-in cycle of
re-visiting and refining, are a very powerful tool.  Sharing expectations of
one another, in all directions regardless of position, is so refreshing.
KNOWING ONE ANOTHER opens authentic space and "expands our now" as a
sustainable living field of trust.

One more curiosity.  I enjoyed Mark Jones's comments about the value of
being "embedded."  I also have worked in recent years as a space opener and
space holder with formal leadership responsibilities.  What I have found is
that my own commitments as a leader have increasingly shifted away from
commitments to specific form, content, or outcome, and toward commitment to
process.  Inviting, opening, holding space have incrementally BECOME the
purpose, the fire at the center of the wheel.

So when Michael asks, "Has anyone put his mind to the connection of spirit
and selforganisation?" I say, Yes, and I'm happy to know that my mind can
only barely touch it, like looking at the sun.

Chris