Evaluations of Open Space in Novi Sad, Serbia

Birgitt Williams birgitt at dalarinternational.com
Mon Apr 3 08:19:32 PDT 2006

Hi Kerry,
An interesting perspective on givens. Are they truly barriers to the
fundamental philosophy and values of OST? There is no attempt regarding
the use of givens to restrict open discussion. In fact, I don't think it
is possible to restrict open discussion. If open discussion cannot
happen formally in the organization, it will happen in the ladies
restroom, the parking lot and so on. I have never witnessed 'givens'
restricting the discussion at all. However, in an intact organization,
once the OST meeting is completed, life usually goes on. And this is
what the 'givens' are really about. What is the organization really
opening the space for in the organization to have changed. Ideally, it
would be anything. But this is not usually corporate reality. Ongoing
inspiration, workforce 'buy-in', motivation for action are very high
when the people see tangible results from their investment in an OST
meeting. The authenticity about the 'givens' identifies where the space
is open in the organization for expectations to have their best chance
of fulfillment.

Our statistics in this Genuine Contact program way of working with OST
speak volumes. Please note that we facilitate the actual OST meeting in
the same way that we were taught to do so by Harrison. Our difference is
how we work with OST in the intact organization. For example, Norton and
Kaplan published by Harvard Business Press cite that 70-90% of strategic
directions fail to be executed. In the way that we work with OST, which
includes clear authentic givens, planning meeting(s), the OST meeting
itself, a debrief meeting, and a 4-6 months out accountability meeting,
we have demonstrated a track record of over 90% of strategic plans done
this way being executed. A total turn around from the industry results.
And we are very proud of it.

My perspective of OST and how to work with it was shaped dramatically in
1992 when I started using OST in the organization for which I was the
senior staff person responsible and accountable for our organization's
performance. I have long appreciated the benefits I received from this
perspective and how to work with frequent use of OST for great success
in the long term of the organization.

Blessings,
Birgitt