Evaluations of Open Space in Novi Sad, Serbia

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Sun Apr 2 17:59:19 PDT 2006

Having worked some of the same territory as Elwin (though not nearly as
extensively) and with the same clients (USAID etc) I find the notion of
"givens" to be somewhat off the mark. To be sure, there are "givens" -- the
world is round, gravity affects all of it, and the like. But basically the
issue is to invite people to put it all on the table, no holds barred. This
does make some folks very nervous, but they would be nervous under any
circumstance, and I can't really worry about their inner feelings. I
understand they may be my "client" -- but I make it very clear to folks who
are foolhardy enough to hire me -- that in the run up to an Open Space I
will do my best to honor their wishes as client. And if I can't do that
(honor their wishes) I will withdraw from the assignment. However once
things are under way, my "client" is the people in the room, and I will do
everything possible to do whatever I can to open the space just as widely as
I can so that they may experience their own selves in their fullness. Good,
bad, and indifferent.

This may sound revolutionary, off the wall, and contrary to good
client/consultant relationships. All of which may be true, but for me it
makes absolute sense. Take the recent situation in Seville. Had there been
any "givens" (non-negotiable, non-speakable issues) which were taken off the
table in advance -- you can be absolutely certain that with the participants
that we had -- all of that would have forcibly been put back on the table.
What allowed us to escape a major blow-up (we certainly had some minor major
ones :-) -- was to open sufficient space so that everything was out there.
And then the participants had to take full responsibility for their
passions, statements, their selves. Some people call this deep democracy.
That works for me.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20854
Phone 301-365-2093
Skype hhowen
Personal website www.ho-image.com
OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the
archives Visit: www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html