A Taste of OST - Cl;imbing out on a limb . . .

Esther Ewing EwingChange at aol.com
Fri Sep 23 08:03:29 PDT 2005

Barry:
And what was the theme of the invitation?

Esther

I opened a very small space (1.5 hours) yesterday that seems to have  grown
legs . . . I wrote a bit about this for another listserve and thought I  would
share it here.

Best,

Interestingly, I just completed (Yesterday) a 1.5 hour "Taster" with 35  MBA
Students at a local Graduate level Business School. The Course was a  "Change
Management" course, and the Professor wished to "Expose" the  students to
Open
Space Technology. We talked in great length about how to  do it . . . How do
you
get a group to "Get" OST in 1.5  hours?

Here's what we did . . . and it worked magnificently  :-)

I coached the professor to send out an invitation (as we do with  ANY OST
event)
with a theme that would be appropriate for the students -  He did so 2 weeks
prior to the session.

When they arrived at class,  the room was set as if we were having a 2 1/2
day
event - Reporting  Station and all.

20 Minutes - I opened the space
10 Minutes -  Marketplace
20 Minutes - Sessions
20 Minutes - US West Video
20  Minutes - Closing/Discussion/Questions

We had 15 issues posted - 4  groups broke into sessions

I! made the time matrix as I would for any 2  1/2 day event and suggested to
the
group that they could certainly "carry  on" with their sessions after class .
. .
As it happened, They assigned  meeting times and places to complete all of
the
sessions to happen  throughout the 2 1/2 day period . . . and left the class
excited about the  possibility of keeping the energy flowing and ultimately
inviting the  entire school (@ 450 Faculty, Staff, Students + any alumni who
cared to  attend) to a larger - REAL 2 1/2 day event.

I talked to some Open Space  friends before doing this and was cautioned
against
opening the space, so  I was climbing out on a limb doing it . . . I think
the
real difference  came in the fact that I did NOT "mess with the system" . . .
We
had a  real, viable, important Theme for the participants . . .

So there you  have it . . .

Good luck,

What does your "way" move you towards?

Barry Owen
The Owen Group
Keller Williams Realty
The  fastest growing, most innovative real estate firm in North America!
105  Westpark Dr Suite 100
Brentwood, TN 37027
615.568.2123
http://www.geocities.com/barryo.geo
* *  ==========================================================
change your options, view the archives of  oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:

Esther Ewing
The Change Alliance - Building Organizational  Capability
330 East 38th St., Suite 53K
New York, New York 10016,  USA

Phone: 212-661-6024
Fax: 866-296-6712

Distributor of  Panoramic Feedback (www.panoramicfeedback.com)
Kolbe Index (www.kolbe.com)
Certified Network Member - Team Management  Systems
(www.teammanagementsystems.com)