Architectural Dream

Eric Lilius elilius at halhinet.on.ca
Thu Sep 22 10:41:06 PDT 2005

Christine,

My wish list

A circular space with abundant indirect light
Lots of alcoves for breakout groups/or rooms close by for breakout.

A space where sound carries clearly but allows for small group discussions that
don't interfere with each other. Acoustic characteristics usually seem to be a
low priority (even in concert halls).

Whenever I think of design for human spaces, I turn to "A Pattern Language" by
Christopher Alexander et al.

See http://downlode.org/etext/patterns/ to get a sense of the breadth of the
content.

It's really a hypertext in the sense that once you start, one pattern refers to
other patterns.

This book usually in my bathroom collection but I do lend it to friends who are
thinking of building any kind of dwelling. I actually would give it to anyone
who makes decisions about human habitation from regional planning to homebuilding.

Your friend probably knows of it. It's a book that we should all be handed at
birth.

Eric

Christine Whitney Sanchez wrote:

> I don't think this made it onto the list for some reason.  Thanks for
> your co-creative input.

Keep the Frost Centre Open
http://savethefrostcentre.ca

`·.¸ ><((((º> .·´¯`·.¸.·<º))))><¸.·´¯·.¸
`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>
<º))))><·.¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸
·..·´¯`·. <º))))><.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·<º))))><

Eric Lilius
Box 27
(1563 Eagle Lake Road)
Eagle Lake, ON  K0M 1M0
CANADA W78.34.12/N45.07.09
705-754-9859
705-754-9860 (fax)

If your mind is empty, it is always ready for anything; it is open to
everything.  In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities; in the
expert's mind there are few.

Shunryu Suzuki