Architectural Dream

Gerard Muller gm at openspace.dk
Wed Sep 21 03:55:57 PDT 2005

Dear Christine,

I am thinking back on the space where we held OSonOS11. A few years
before OSonOS the owner, Niels, organised an Open Space event to ask
his network what building was needed for the knowledge
center he has. Those who have been there will agree the result is quite
something. So why not organise an Open Space on the issue ?

The other thought I had was that probably in most cases where I have
facilitated an Open Space, the location was a given.
And while I feel that the space in which the meeting is held is very
important, and I really try to help select a great space in those cases
where it has not been chosen,
the discussion about the "Architectural Dream" brough back a memory I
would like to share.

The client was a tax office.
Their building a box of concrete, everybody sitting in their little
boxes behind their computers.
Spirit very low.
The room I had to work in the worst I have ever had: their celllar.
- low ceiling (depressed and depressive).
- very long and very narrow (7*35 meters if I remember correctly)

195 participants.

The Director started his opening statement, and when somewhere half way
he said "And I know there are some of you who feel the athmosphere in
our organisation is bad",
a man stood up, interrupted him and said "and those who feel that way
are right - the athmosphere is very bad"................

To cut a long story short, the Open Space went well, but when the
Director closed the meeting, one of the things he said was "Today I
have become aware of the fact that if we want to really achieve
our objectives, we have the wrong building - it is simply not fit for
good cooperation and communication. So I have decided we will have to

I wonder if we would have had the same outcome in an Architecural Dream.
Could it be that sometimes the worst space is the best ?

Greetings from Denmark,

Gerard Muller
Open Space Institute Denmark
Phone: (+45) 21269621