Need examples

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.de
Sun Sep 18 13:07:30 PDT 2005

Love it, Kate!
mmp

Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 22:23:38 -0400
To: OSLIST <OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU>
From: Birgitt Williams <birgitt at dalarinternational.com>
Subject: capturing the story of our community through the story of the
 OSONOS's, OS Institutes, List, Websites, Trainings (very long)

Dear all,

At OSONOS in Halifax, a topic was posted by Tova and Peggy on
“intergenerational”
responsibilities
 As a result of that discussion, I
ended up thinking about two ingredients that could strengthen community.
And for some reason, in the closing circle of the grand event, I offered
to attend to these. I offered to capture the story of the ongoing
development of the OST community and in doing so would focus on how the
community developed regarding the OSONOS’s, the Institutes, and the list
(I also think now that this could include a fourth pillar---the
website--- and Michael Pannwitz reminded me that this should be websites
and also to include trainings as five anchors that the community could
gather around and develop around). Brian offered to help me to do this
and got this discussion going, choosing the first distribution list when
he sent the initial post.

My interest in asking for stories is to have a number submitted, clean
them up a bit, and then post them as a package onto the openspaceworld
website  with mention on the list to go there to add to them. I have no
idea what will be done with the story beyond being open for ongoing
additions on the wiki site so that people who enter the story can go
back in time to learn from the story that took place before they arrived
in the OST ‘community’. It is my hope that this will be one of the
vehicles by which newcomers can feel connected and that prior to each
OSONOS, participants can be invited to read it if they wish. It is one
way that previous ‘generations’ of people involved with OST can be of
assistance to those who are new.

I was not interested in moving this series of contributions onto the
list until now, to be sure that those identified as 'elders' had a
chance to make their contributions and then I had a chance to pull this
emerging story together. I have now pulled it together, not neatly but
it is a starting point and so here it is for your contributions. The
initial postings went to Pannwitz, Michael M; Birgitt Williams;
Richardson, Judith; Pinto, Janet; Peterson, Larry; Owen, Harrison;
McWaters, Viv; Holman, Peggy; Herrmann, Thomas; Herman, Michael; Heft,
Lisa; Corrigan, Chris; Bainbridge, Brian; Backelund, Eiwor; averbuch,
tova; Aftandelian, Raffi. There was an invitation to this list to expand
it out to others. And then it became a desire to simply have it go to
the list. My concern is that there are so many others who were involved
with OST in early days who have stories to share that are important but
who are not on the list. I believe it is important to know this story,
to capture this story, and to have this story available for reading by
those who are joining the list and those who register to attend an
OSONOS.

I place the word ‘elders’ in ‘ ‘ because it is not accurate re age. This
brings me to my second offering
it is my hope that through this process
we can identify if there is an organization or a community re: OST and
if so, what is the makeup of that community. There are many who have
never joined the list, who have not been to an OSONOS, etc and yet they
still feel connected. I think this is the second ingredient that could
strengthen community --to determine what it is for us rather than just
operating from assumptions. This refers also to decision making and
power, whether explicit or implicit.

Blessings,

Birgitt Williams
www.dalarinternational.com