A taster of OST meeting on 1,5 hour

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Mon Sep 12 11:23:39 PDT 2005

Hi, dear Eva --

Eva wrote about preparing to do an over-100-person short OS meeting
where the purpose sounds like it is to give people an experiential taste
of OS:
<My first plan (when I was hoping to have some 30-40 people) was to
have a very short opening and agenda setting (20 min) and 2 breakout
spaces à 25 min each and approx. 20 min to closing and reflection
over the process.>

Wow.  All that and breakfast too!  ;o)

I've seen it done.  I've seen this 2-very-short-sessions with a smaller
group, and I've seen a just-1-sesssion with a larger group.  Frankly, I
think the just-one-session is perhaps useful in different instances, but
I'd opt for a quicker 2-session version to give people more of a sense
of sampling a buffet (here we're talking about breakfast again!) of
topics.

(in US game shows there is often ‘the lightening round’ where everything
happens very quickly and this is what it feels like to me – can be fast
but great energy)

Also depends if you can have all the discussions in the same big room as
your opening circle.  That would help with the whole people-movement
thing in such a short time.  Might also help if the room was super-huge
to have the opening circle in the center and your 15-or-whatever
discussion circles-of-chairs pre-set around the edges of the room.  I'm
hoping breakfast does not mean a bunch of tables all over the room?

If I were to cut anything shorter I would reduce time for the closing
circle reflections-comments, to allow more time for folks to post topics
at the beginning.  Just a thought.

Jeff Aitken (US), Elena Marchuk (Russia) and Laurel Doersam (Canada)
are, to me, the king and queen of successful 'shortie' OSs...which I
used to think were not useful until they inspired me to try it for
myself...and: depending on the objective of the OS, the logistics, the
circumstances and everything, (and with a caveat to the sponsors/clients
as to what a short OS will *not* deliver) can be very successful...

You'll do a great job, Ms. Eva,

Ms. Lisa
L i s a   H e f t
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator