Estonian Open Space Institute founded and Murphy's Laws ab out Open Space Technology (OST)

Mikk Sarv mikk at ilm.ee
Fri Sep 30 22:41:32 PDT 2005

Dear friends!

Yesterday gathered first time the initiative group of Estonian Open Space
Institute and decided to get it launched. For beginning there is more Open
Space part than Institute - we decided to start as unformal group for
beginning. Our next meeting is the 4th of November and our dream or ambition
is to organise next year on the first week of June in Tallinn, Estonia the
European OSonOS.

Our first contribution to the Open Space world is th Murphy's Laws about
Open Space Technology, put into words by Arno Baltin with additions from
Jyri Bachman and Jaago Piller, translated into English by Toomas Niit. You
are much welcomed to contribute to the work with your amendments and new
parts.

Mikk Sarv

Murphy's Laws about Open Space Technology (OST)

1. If anything can go wrong, it will.

1.1. If it does not go wrong, it is Open Space (OS).

3. When the paying part is an eager user of the OS, nothing much comes out
of it.

4. When the participants come unwillingly, there will be a powerful and
uhibited discussion.

5. When the discussion is fruitful, it will let to go wrong.

6. If OST produces something new, the participants do not recognize it as a
result of OST.

7. If the opener of space is very considerate, it makes the participants to
struggle against.

7.1. If the opener of space is unconciderate, the result is the same.

8. When it feels that it's over, it is just starting.

9. When everybody is present, somebody is still missing.

10. If you haven't got anything to learn from the discussion or to add to
it, your feet are like planted into the ground and you feel that you can't
use them.

10.1. When you finally can get your feet moving, the discussion is becoming
interesting.

10.2. When the discussion becomes interesting, the time is over.

11. When you start an important topic, only the butterflies come into the
group.

11.1. When the last butterfly leaves, you'll understand that the topic wasn'
t significant at all.

12. A bee does not feel being a bee before meeting a butterfly.

Jüri Bachman's addition:

13. When the right people are present, someone still leaves - these are the
right people who do.

13. 1. The right people are there when we aren't. When we aren't, they are
there. When we arrive, they are about to leave.

14. If during the OST the impetus calms down, the flame goes out, or the
pessimism takes over, it fires a new passion.

 (and from Jaago Piller):

15. Laughter discharges the lost energy.

15.1. The loss of energy discharges from laughter.

Welcome to everybody!

(And a note to Arno Baltin: Translation during the prime-time television
without open space will cost you 5** EEK + two dark beers in a closed
space).

Toomas Niit

Murphy's grandfather in Estonia

September 30, 2005