Alternatives to Debate/Was Re: Open Space in the European Community

Diana Larsen dlarsen at futureworksconsulting.com
Thu Sep 29 12:29:29 PDT 2005

Hi All,

Time to stop lurking, I guess. ;-)

When the purpose of a gathering (or that part of a gathering) is to
explore ideas more than it is to make decisions, I create an additional
flip chart poster with four continua. As I open space (notice the lower
case) for groups, I extend the invitation to focus on:
- inquiry rather than advocacy
- discussion rather than debate
- conversation rather than argument
- understanding rather than defending

Participants have come to me to say that it helped them for me to make
this distinction in the kinds of possible discourse. They hadn't
thought about the fact that they had options to choose from when they
interacted on topics about which they felt passion.

Peace!
Diana

Diana Larsen
www.futureworksconsulting.com   503-288-3550

I'll be at the Pacific Northwest Software Quality Conference in
Portland OR USA, Oct 10-12, 2005. They are ready to accept
registrations! Sign up now for a great conference:
   http://www.pnsqc.org
   http://www.pnsqc.org/conference05/workshops.php

Other Upcoming Events:
- Open Workshop with Diana Larsen, Esther Derby & Ken Schwaber
   "The Secrets of  Agile Teamwork: Beyond Technical Skills"
    Dec. 6-8, 2005, Portland OR USA
    http://www.futureworksconsulting.com/events.html