Opening Space on the Gulf Coast

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Mon Sep 5 09:53:25 PDT 2005

When 9/11 happened, after the immediate shock had worn off, I found myself musing -- "Given what I know/have experienced, what can we do now?" I confess that the answer to that question was a little slow in coming, but when it did, the arrival occurred pretty much in the nature of a blinding flash of the obvious. Open Space! And I did my best to spell out the details in what became, "The Practice of Peace." This time around, the old mind seems to have worked a little bit faster -- or maybe the obvious was just a bit more obvious -- and the answer is precisely the same. Open Space!

The conditions are absolutely perfect. We have a real clear issue: "Rebuilding a shattered society." Lots of diversity in terms of those involved, their opinions and needs. Mountains of complexity, plenty of conflict, and for sure the decision time was yesterday. In terms of Open Space, it just doesn't get any better than that. And as we all know, OS is fast, cheap, and effective -- exactly what you need in a situation approaching total disaster.

Ok -- now what? It might feel real good if a whole bunch of us jumped on planes, trains and cars. We might even get our faces on the Evening News, but I doubt it would do much good. If nothing else, our presence would only add to the burdens of region scarcely able to carry itself. But there are other ways.

To make a start, we need only two things. First, points of contact where we might do some good. And second, the people and recourses to serve the need. Knowing something of the quality and dedication of the people on OSLIST, I feel comfortable in saying that the second need has already been met. We are the people, and we can find the resources. But the Points of Contact may take a little thinking. We don't need to have a lot, and certainly not a full array all across the Gulf States. Just one or two would do for a start.

There are 450 people on this list. There is only one person that I can think of (and I can't remember his name) who actually lives in New Orleans. But in this wonderful electronic world in which we live, physical proximity isn't the only thing. Each one of us knows somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody. . . A simple note of invitation and support passed along "the grape vine," could reach the receptive spot. We might share our notes just to give each other ideas and inspiration -- no need to sell Open Space. Just talk about what it does -- simply, personally and briefly.

And when we reach that receptive spot -- I for one promise to offer whatever service or support that lies in my power to give.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr.
Potomac, MD  20854