Invitation to all open space people in the New York City area

Laurence Berg lberg at AFSC.ORG
Thu Sep 1 12:36:49 PDT 2005

I'm interested in this gathering, but I haven't been able to follow up
with Marei. My message to Marei could not be delivered.

If there's any news, I'd like to hear about it.  Thanks very much.

-Laurence

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 15:47:00 GMT, Marei Kiele <MareiKiele at web.de> wrote:

> Dear friends and collagues,
>
>the 5th of September is coming closer - which is not only labor day but
also the first monday in an odd month - and therefore it is THE date for
the regional OPEN SPACE STAMMTISCH meeting.

>You don't know what a "stammtisch" is or you don't know me?
>Go to http://www.openspaceworldmap.org than click on "stammtisch" in the
upper corner on the right side.
>Or just read on:
>
>"Stammtisch" is German and can be translated as "tribe table" = a defined
date and place where people come together regularly; people who share an
interest or just people who like to hang out together (tribe "table"
because in Germany this has been a special table within a bar where you
knew, when I go there on a friday evening I will meet Daniel, Sabine and
Peter all interested in ...).

>Michael M Pannwitz started this initiative in Berlin with the vision of
open space people all over the world meeting on the same day every two
months - and by now already 13 "open space stammtisch"-meetings have been
founded. New York will be the fourteenth !!

>If you are interested in open space AND live in the New York City area OR
you happen to be there on the 5th of July OR you don't mind traveling a
long distance to meet with us - please note this date in your agenda !!

>We are going to meet at 7 pm somewhere in Manhattan. I have
recommendations for different interesting locations and I will investigate
them and come back to you with a detailed description.

>In the meantime I appreciate all feedback and first signals of interest -
please let me know if you consider coming.
>Please let me know if a different time would make it easier for you to be
there.

>Of course the same principles apply as in every Open Space session: If
you planed to come and then you run into something else which is more
interesting for you in that special moment - your passion leads the way to
where you benefit and contribute most.

>I will be there and I will love to meet with everybody who shares my
interest in Open Space and in networking with people of my tribe.

Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 18:26:57 -0300
To: OSLIST <OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU>
From: Judi Richardson PONO <judir at accesswave.ca>
Subject: Lesson Plan?

--Boundary_(ID_ha3RqxRkEk/RMNhJQolQFA)

Michael and Alan-the "Lesson Plan" - very cute, indeed.  Okay here goes.
About 2 months prior to OSonOS I get a call from the co-chair of the
association of over 200 Principals and Vice-principals in the region.  She
and the other co-chair had attended an evening "demo" of OST I did for the
local association of business women who could not quite figure out what the
heck "Judi does" and as I enjoy OST as one of the things I do, I gave them a
taste so they could have conversations about their association!!  That
evening they asked about how I had specifically applied OST as a Prof in
College and University and with the P to 12 system in assisting the League
of Peaceful Schools.  When I received the call these two women were excited
about the possibilities.  In fact both had gone right back and held the rest
of their staff meetings for the year in circle - no tables.  So - she tells
me about the two day conference or summer retreat for up to 200.  I, of
course, suggested 2 days in OST.  They already had some bookings for the
first day.  And they had talked the session they attended up so much the
VP's and P's wanted to know the in's and out's of application, more than
just experiencing it.

One day for training 200 in Open Space?  Hmmm.. Okay so I'm playing in the
realm of all possibility and potential because OSonOS is coming and that is
my playground. The most I've had in an OST learning lab is about 35.   So, I
remember back a few years to Julie inviting Judi, Michael H. and Chris C to
Alaska through a School District.  Two days of OST for about 300 and then 2
days of training for 60.  Large circle, using a microphone, 3 different
styles - it all just emerged and we had a blast!

So I met to find out what day one was all about - communication.  I was very
straightforward, agreed with them, and suggested they might want to bring
that down to a more workable size.  I have watched myself and others delight
in hiding behind large, vague statements like that.  I spoke to a few of the
membership and heard that on a personal level overwhelm, dealing with
discipline and conflict, along with all the lists you and I could easily
make were the hot items.  Also the fact that they are in separate schools
and really wanted to talk to each other about what really matters.   Then I
meditated and hung out for a few days on what one day of OST with a minimal
amount of instruction could bring to the group.

What I love most is watching a system connect to itself - seeing people
"remembering" their knowing.  And I have seen how even a couple of hours of
OST can unleash that.  So - okay Universe - bring it on.  I checked out and
even spoke to a speaker or two from the first day to find out their focus.
What also has become clearer and clearer when I'm asked to mentor OST or
give learning labs is the deep and personal connection people make to the
simplicity.  When that deep connection is made they usually say - hey this
isn't anything new, and I say right on you already know it.

So - when they asked for 45 minutes to one hour of "overview" prior - I knew
that I couldn't just have them sit as I went over the basics... yawn!  So I
chose to cover the story - what, when, where, why of OST.  We explored the
future being created in webs of human conversation in small groups, creating
compelling visions.  We explored chaos and control - and I laugh as one
woman even said out loud and hit her head - There is no Control, There is no
Control!  And then as I used video clips and the posted matrix and signs as
demos - we explored the simplicity of form of OST AND related it to
ourselves personally.  The Circle, Breath, Givens (personal as boundaries),
emergent qualities - staying with what wants to express itself even when
uncomfortable, the question (appreciatively and to build a compelling
vision), accountability, passion and responsibility, marketplace and
newswall, meeting format, facilitator, decision making (using the brilliant
example of the answer emerging from the center at OSonOS), individual and
collective, conflict, OST as cosmic mirror or group awareness, generative
listening - the space inside.  I also shared some of the Canada/US research
I was involved in with the Conference Board of Canada in org. culture and
the quality of the space in which meetings take place.   We also explored
how richer our time together is when we talk about what matters.  And they
loved the "dead moose" analogy of course.

And when they were ready to jump into OST (or when the bladders were calling
from morning coffee) - we broke, straightened up the circle.  Because they
were watching to apply what they had just explored, they were incredibly
attentive - increasing my mindfulness as I walked the circle and opened the
space.

Noisy - this group was engaged from the start - we laughed and laughed.  The
laughter really stands out in my mind and heart.  This is the educational
system my sons grew up in and several of their teachers where participants.
My sons - and yeah I'm biased - have grown up to be amazingly decent human
beings - caring and funloving.  They are a product of this system.  To be
given the opportunity to give back to that system and see the rejuvenation
and capacity building in the group - well how cool is that?

Theme:  System Communication:  What's Possible?

Topics generated:

How to make synergy work in a school

Communication - Quality over quantity works

Developing Integrity of Conversation

Building collaboration and respect with a new school community

How to open a conversation about a topic everyone has already shut down
about.

How can we create more opportunities for administrators to share insights,
expertise, experiences, etc., without a set agenda?  ie informal networking

How to create a time and space for parents to communicate and participate in
school culture and community

How would you like to see your relationship and communication with your
Board member?

Sharing Board initiatives (directives) with staff

Friendly vs. Friends:  Building rapport with students

How can we foster more open dialogue/conversation among school
administrators

How do we open communication with external agencies who will support

Issues around making a move to a new building and/or a new position.

How would you see this process working with parent concerns in your school?

How to build collegial relationships

Creating a climate for an opportunities for staff meetings that are
meaningful

Supportive Supervision - Cooperative evaluation "TIME"

What are some creative ways support teachers with time to engage in ongoing
P.D.

Building rapport and sense of trust with staff, students, and parents in a
new school community.

How can we foster a culture of trust and collaboration in a staff that makes
unhealthy assumptions about each other?

What strategies could be used to improve staff relations with a colleague
that is negative?

Staff "meetings" - need to have them to pass along info (traditional model)
vs. making the meetings meaningful, productive, and collaborative and
engaging ALL.

How can we help parents create a safe home environment?

How do we weave together what needs to happen in the school, in the context
of students' learning and the expectation of central office?  Or Are they
all givens?

In the closing circle they spoke from their hearts.  Throughout the day more
topics emerged - one gentleman sat with me and shed a few tears about how
some of the students he works with are treated at home which lead to a
session entitled:  how can we support parents in creating a safe home
environment?  He completely stayed away from blame - amazing.
Administrators said they never see their School Board members so a Board
member posted - How would "you like" to see your relationship and
communication with your Board member?  It was rewarding for them to
articulate their discoveries, the freedom they discovered in the space they
created.

Connections were made, best practices shared, storytelling sessions,
commitment to initiatives.  Before the day was out, one principal was
talking to me about bringing the "family" of schools together at the end of
September - possibly just teachers and administrators and staff in the
beginning.  I have agreed to work with them with the request of a few
teachers to mentor - building internal capacity.  Five or six came up
inquiring about a couple of days of training.  Over 100 left their names for
more info!!  And I've sent that already.  A few suggested mentoring circles
and they got together right away.

One of the Principals in the closing circle said that he is having 100
business cards made with "Whatever happens is the only thing that could" and
giving them to the first 100 parents who complain!!  Yup - that really
brought laughter...

And the group did handwritten reports, is having them typed and I'll have a
copy when done - so I'll keep you posted.

Judith Richardson, MA, BA, BEd, MEC

PONO Consultants International

Optimizing Performace, Potential and Profitability

Phone: 902.434.6695

FAx: 902.435.1085

Winner International Coach of the Year 2004

Nominee Progress Club Woman of Excellence 2005

--Boundary_(ID_ha3RqxRkEk/RMNhJQolQFA)

<head>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=us-ascii">
<o:SmartTagType namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name="country-region"/>
<o:SmartTagType namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name="State"/>
<o:SmartTagType namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name="place"/>
<o:SmartTagType namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name="PersonName"/>
<!--[if !mso]>
st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
<![endif]-->
<!--
 /* Font Definitions */
 @font-face
	{font-family:Century;
	panose-1:2 4 6 4 5 5 5 2 3 4;}
 /* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:Arial;
	color:windowtext;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->

</head>

12.0pt'>Michael and Alan—the “Lesson Plan” – very cute,
[...]

12.0pt'>One day for training 200 in Open Space?  Hmmm…. Okay so I’m
playing in the realm of all possibility and potential because OSonOS is coming
and that is my playground. The most I’ve had in an OST learning lab is
about 35.   So, I remember back a few years to Julie inviting Judi, Michael H.
and Chris C to <st1:State w:st="on">Alaska</st1:State> through a <st1:place
w:st="on">School District</st1:place>.  Two days of OST for about 300 and then
2 days of training for 60.  Large circle, using a microphone, 3 different

12.0pt'>So I met to find out what day one was all about – communication.
I was very straightforward, agreed with them, and suggested they might want to
bring that down to a more workable size.  I have watched myself and others
delight in hiding behind large, vague statements like that.  I spoke to a few
of the membership and heard that on a personal level overwhelm, dealing with
discipline and conflict, along with all the lists you and I could easily make
were the hot items.  Also the fact that they are in separate schools and really
wanted to talk to each other about what really matters.   Then I meditated and
hung out for a few days on what one day of OST with a minimal amount of

12.0pt'>What I love most is watching a system connect to itself – seeing
people “remembering” their knowing.  And I have seen how even a
couple of hours of OST can unleash that.  So – okay Universe –
bring it on.  I checked out and even spoke to a speaker or two from the first
day to find out their focus.  What also has become clearer and clearer when
I’m asked to mentor OST or give learning labs is the deep and personal connection
people make to the simplicity.  When that deep connection is made they usually
say – hey this isn’t anything new, and I say right on you already

12.0pt'>So – when they asked for 45 minutes to one hour of “overview”
[...]
of the <st1:country-region w:st="on">Canada</st1:country-region>/<st1:place
w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">US</st1:country-region></st1:place>
research I was involved in with the Conference Board of Canada in org. culture
and the quality of the space in which meetings take place.   We also explored how
richer our time together is when we talk about what matters.  And they loved

12.0pt'>And when they were ready to jump into OST (or when the bladders were
calling from morning coffee) – we broke, straightened up the circle.  Because
they were watching to apply what they had just explored, they were incredibly
attentive – increasing my mindfulness as I walked the circle and opened

12.0pt'>Noisy – this group was engaged from the start – we laughed
and laughed.  The laughter really stands out in my mind and heart.  This is the
educational system my sons grew up in and several of their teachers where
participants.  My sons – and yeah I’m biased – have grown up
to be amazingly decent human beings – caring and funloving.  They are a
product of this system.  To be given the opportunity to give back to that
system and see the rejuvenation and capacity building in the group – well

12.0pt'>How to open a conversation about a topic everyone has already shut down

12.0pt'>How can we create more opportunities for administrators to share
insights, expertise, experiences, etc., without a set agenda?  ie informal

12.0pt'>How to create a time and space for parents to communicate and

12.0pt'>How would you like to see your relationship and communication with your

12.0pt'>How can we foster more open dialogue/conversation among school

12.0pt'>How would you see this process working with parent concerns in your

12.0pt'>Creating a climate for an opportunities for staff meetings that are

12.0pt'>Supportive Supervision – Cooperative evaluation

12.0pt'>What are some creative ways support teachers with time to engage in

12.0pt'>Building rapport and sense of trust with staff, students, and parents

12.0pt'>How can we foster a culture of trust and collaboration in a staff that

12.0pt'>What strategies could be used to improve staff relations with a

12.0pt'>Staff “meetings” – need to have them to pass along
info (traditional model) vs. making the meetings meaningful, productive, and

12.0pt'>How do we weave together what needs to happen in the school, in the
context of students’ learning and the expectation of central office?  Or

12.0pt'>In the closing circle they spoke from their hearts.  Throughout the day
more topics emerged – one gentleman sat with me and shed a few tears
about how some of the students he works with are treated at home which lead to
a session entitled:  how can we support parents in creating a safe home
environment?  He completely stayed away from blame – amazing.
Administrators said they never see their School Board members so a Board member
posted - How would “you like” to see your relationship and
communication with your Board member?  It was rewarding for them to articulate

12.0pt'>Connections were made, best practices shared, storytelling sessions,
commitment to initiatives.  Before the day was out, one principal was talking
to me about bringing the “family” of schools together at the end of
September – possibly just teachers and administrators and staff in the
beginning.  I have agreed to work with them with the request of a few teachers
to mentor – building internal capacity.  Five or six came up inquiring
about a couple of days of training.  Over 100 left their names for more info!!
And I’ve sent that already.  A few suggested mentoring circles and they

12.0pt'>One of the Principals in the closing circle said that he is having 100
business cards made with “Whatever happens is the only thing that
could” and giving them to the first 100 parents who complain!!  Yup

12.0pt'>And the group did handwritten reports, is having them typed and

 style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Century'>Judith Richardson</span></font></st1:PersonName><font
size=2 face=Century><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Century'>, MA,
BA, BEd, MEC</span></font><o:p></o:p></p>

font-family:Century'>PONO Consultants International</span></font><o:p></o:p></p>

font-family:Century'>Optimizing Performace, Potential and Profitability</span></font><o:p></o:p></p>

font-family:Century'>Phone: 902.434.6695</span></font><o:p></o:p></p>

font-family:Century'>FAx: 902.435.1085</span></font><o:p></o:p></p>

font-family:Century'>Winner International Coach of the Year 2004</span></font><o:p></o:p></p>

font-family:Century'>Nominee Progress Club Woman of Excellence 2005</span></font><o:p></o:p></p>