California Open Space or Cafe's

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Mon Oct 17 11:44:10 PDT 2005

Hi, Ms. Debra !

(Debra and I met when I gave an OS learning workshop in her part of the
world).

Debra wrote:
< Next month I have stepped forward to be a part of a group that should
be open to a 'taste' of OS. When is OS or a Cafe not appropriate? >

I think World Café (is that the Café you are mentioning?) is a great
method for short timespans - it really brings rich conversation.  For
this, little intimate tables fill the room.  I've also done short Open
Spaces, and I have given experiential and very short OSs but that's of
course not my ideal situation.  For this, ideally, zero tables in the
room.

And having said that, I've done these things with all the 'wrong'
furniture and short overall meeting times and it often works out just
fine.

To answer your question more thoroughly, though, I'd ask you a few more
questions.  How many participants are we talking about.  How much time
do you have.  Is it in the context of a larger meeting or conference?
What will they be doing before and after this interactive session?  What
is the context of this meeting, and what are some of the issues?

I would not use OS and I would seriously caution the hosts-clients to
open up a nice large (even overnight) timespan if there are issues of
serious conflict.  I have found that people need first to tell their
stories (of grief, rage, whatever) and then (ideally after a rest, a
shower, some 'percolating' thinking) they can bring their stories with
them into the present to move forward together.  So a 2-day OS is
something I really try to push for if there is great conflict.  Though
I've done these things in 1 day and in less than 1 day.

Give us more details, Ms. Debra, and we'll help you sort out methods,
design of timing, and whatever else you may need,

Lisa
L i s a   H e f t
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
O p e n i n g  S p a c e