Conference Case Studies

Diana Larsen dlarsen at futureworksconsulting.com
Wed Oct 12 07:35:32 PDT 2005

Yesterday, I opened space at the PNSQC conference in Portland OR.
(Pacific Northwest Software Quality Conference) Ellen Gottesdiener
(copied on this email) opened space in July at the Agile 2005
conference, also software-related. In both of those the OS ran
concurrently with other sessions. Here in the NW we are planning
another software-related regional conference (XP Fest NW) for next
spring to be all Open Space, all the time. ;-)

The first time I saw Open Space in a conference setting in 2002 (?),
Michael Hermann opened it for the XP/Agile Universe.

It's not the ideal way to facilitate Open Space, but it makes for a
more enjoyable and rich conference, IMHO. The more conferences I attend
with Open Space tracks, the more impatient I get with powerpoint
presentations. :-) Another thing I've noticed in conferences that
regularly include Open Space...the senior folks and "gurus" tend to
show up there and become more accessible than in more formal sessions.

Diana

Diana Larsen
www.futureworksconsulting.com   503-288-3550

I'll be at the Pacific Northwest Software Quality Conference in
Portland OR USA, Oct 10-12, 2005. They are ready to accept
registrations! Sign up now for a great conference:
   http://www.pnsqc.org
   http://www.pnsqc.org/conference05/workshops.php

Other Upcoming Events:
- Open Workshop with Diana Larsen, Esther Derby & Ken Schwaber
   "The Secrets of  Agile Teamwork: Beyond Technical Skills"
    Dec. 6-8, 2005, Portland OR USA
    http://www.futureworksconsulting.com/events.html