Self-organizing: the co-creative Practice of Peace

Tree Fitzpatrick therese.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 10:04:41 PDT 2005

In my humble opinion (IMHO), Open Space Technology is the Practice of Peace.
 IMHO, every time people gather in a circle, listen to the principles of
OST, contemplate a collective question and move into conversations with a
continued awareness, however faint, of the princples of OST, people are
practicing what humanity needs to do to manifest peace on earth.
 IMHO, any question is as good a place to start to practice peace as
anywhere else.
 Strategic planning, team building, personal development. . . any activity
undertaken in an OST consciousness is practicing peace and evolving the
human story.
 Thanks, Anne, for your PoP story.

 On 10/10/05, anne stadler <annestad at comcast.net> wrote:

> The co-creative Practice of Peace.
>

> Sept. 28th, 2005
>

> Anne Stadler
>
> annestad at comcast.net
>

> November, 2003:
>
> Imagine a large windowed room, open to the outdoors, with 150 people
> sitting in a circle. They are gathered here to practice peace. They have
> come from as far as Israel, Palestine, India, Haiti, Northern Ireland,
> Colombia, Mexico, Denmark, Canada, Bosnia, Nigeria, Burundi, Nepal, Taiwan,
> Washington, DC, and many other places in the United States, as well nearby
> in the Northwest. They've come to the Whidbey Institute on Whidbey Island,
> Washington, for three days of Self-organized activity: taking responsibility
> for their passions in the Practice of Peace. They are all ages, all skin
> colors, from many walks of life.
>
> They open their daily circle in silence. The ringing of a clear bell
> signals the beginning and end of their entry into silence. They organize
> themselves by using the simple tools of paper and felt pens to convene
> topics they care about. A long wall is titled Agenda Wall. When the
> marketplace for the day's offerings is opened, people who want to convene
> sessions, write the topic and their name on a piece of paper, stand up and
> announce what they are offering then tape the offering on that wall:
> declaring topic, name, time and place for meeting.
>
> Many of the invitations are provocative: "Healing a Wounded Country",
> "What are you willing to Die for?" "Watch a movie about the Wall going up in
> Israel and talk about the implications." "Compassionate listening to
> personal stories of war and violence." Others invite people to "Explore
> Playback Theater as a practice of peace", "Walk in the woods to contemplate
> the lessons of nature." "The inner practice of peace."
>
> By the end of three days, people have engaged deeply with each other, have
> listened to the call of spirit, have connected with the natural world. They
> have formed new bonds of friendship and collaboration. They have planted the
> seeds of new peacemaking initiatives: Global Citizens Journey travels to
> Nigeria to build a library in a riverine community in the Niger delta; young
> people are joining other young people in building homes in Burundi; opening
> space in Bogota Colombia with street children; opening space in Israel for
> the vision of Jerusalem 2020; a media project to spread stories of success
> and peaceful evolution… and more!
>
> This Practice of Peace was a practical experience of Open Space Technology
> married with Spirited Work. Spirited Work, a learning community of practice,
> was host and convenor. Spirited Workers had been coming together for six
> years, exploring on-going open space organization. For many, the practice of
> opening space had become a daily spiritual practice, as well as a way of
> conducting co-creative collective life.
>

> Open Space Technology:

> [...]

Warmly,
Tree Fitzpatrick
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." George Elliot