Flu Pandemic Awareness Week

Lucas Gonzalez lgs0a at yahoo.es
Thu Oct 6 01:48:58 PDT 2005

Hi all!

I've just received one reply, off-list, about this "pandemic thing".

>I suspect that a lot of people (not just OS list members) are either
in >frank denial (disbelieving the inevitability of a flu pandemic, or
>thinking it won't happen anytime soon) or in that variant of not
>thinking there's anything they can do about it. Or, thinking that
there >are so many needs and awful things going on in the world that
are more >acute and therefore deserving of attention. Prevention is so
>un-glamorous. And overwhelming sometimes.

I wrote "I wonder what does this have to do with OS".  My first answers
go along these lines:

OST is better used *before* a pandemic, because gathering in large
numbers may facilitate spread of the disease.  (People who get the flu
can spread the virus even 1-2 days before showing symptoms.  This might
also be the behaviour of the new virus once a pandemic emerges.)

OST needs passion and responsibility, which in turn needs perception.
Perception feeds on itself, at least to a certain extent.  We don't see
what we don't see, so why look?  Sometimes a tiger calls our attention.
 Different tigers (or triggers) for different people and circumstances.
 It's difficult to think of the unthinkable.  Hard luck.

OST can be used online - if there's an "online" to talk about.  Some
fear power disruption.  There's no internet in many places.  Much of
the relevant action should be local anyway.

To me, the most important "fact" (belief) is that the most relevant
action is proactive and preventive.  Just the type of action that
doesn't seem to work in this particular case.

Theme: How can WE help community preparation re a Flu Pandemic?
http://www.fluwikie.com/index.php?n=Forum.UseOfOpenSpaceTechnology

Still wondering.

Lucas  http://www.fluwikie.com

Renovamos el Correo Yahoo!