Cross Cultural Facilitation

Brendan Mckeague mckeague at iprimus.com.au
Mon Oct 3 06:06:43 PDT 2005

Thanks for your comments folks - both on and off list - I feel as though
I've planted a little seed, then gone away for the weekend and returned to
find a budding flower of such grace and beauty....such a wonderful gift.

What is now emerging for me from your knowledgeable and insightful comments
is the true complexity of discernment in this situation - this is the very
stuff of Open Space for me - deep listening to my spirit as I engage with
the multiplicity of voices bringing rich wisdom, challenge and affirmation...

And so I will speak to my client and discuss some issues further - about

1       Open Space - is this methodology appropriate at this time for this
group - and is one day sufficient?
         I think that at least 1.5 days would provide that additional
sleep-space and familiarity with the process that enables more     learning
to occur - and this learning might well include reflection on the role (and
gender?) of the OS 'holder'.

2       If we go with OS, then who is appropriate to open and hold space?
Would a white male 'facilitator' inhibit or enhance the experience?
         What if the deeper learning that OS can access is prompted by the
reactions of some participants to the presence of a white
male        facilitator? What if such learning is inhibited or limited by
the gender/culture of the facilitator?
         AND - how would we ever know?

3       I honour the possibility of my fulfilling this role - I have a deep
empathy with those who have suffered oppression and violence and    have
considerable experience now in providing the service of opening and holding
space for others - in this sense I agree with
         Harrison that OS operates “beneath Culture, Gender, privilege (or
lack of same), education, etc

         I believe that I do have the capacity and competency to be
authentically present to the service that this process might provide in
this         situation - so far as I can determine at this time - and that
I will be blessed with sufficient spirit within myself to 'hold' in
an    appropriate way (while not carrying the responsibility for) the
diversity of the gathered participants. Open Space is a process
that    connects deeply to the heart - and as I believe this to be true -
then my heart-energy will be open to those who gather....and trust    that
whatever happens...

4       However - is this (my centredness, self-belief and good intentions)
enough in this context?  Am I the right person to be walking
the    circle/holding the space at this time in the unfolding story of
these people?

         I will need to bring this question to the client/sponsor and as
Lisa/Joelle and others say - ASK - and then:
         'Trust your intuition, and ask your host team to trust their
intuition – and to listen for the answer inside.'

Thanks folks for truly inspiring feedback
Brendan