academic conferences?

Ted Ernst tedernst at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 20:51:01 PDT 2005

So I've posted a bit about my travels in the WikiVan to WikiSym. Don't
remember if I talked about my plan to be in open space at a non-open space
conference. We've now finished a day and a half and I've realized that
there's a function to conferences that I wasn't aware of, the academic
conference with juried paper presentations. In this case the wiki community
can be definied as including both academics and non-academics (free software
developers, corportate developers, community organizer administrators, etc).
I find open space to be fantastic for collaboratoion, wihch is what wiki is
so good at, so open space would seem to be a great fit. Pure open space
doesn't give you that scheduled paper talk from a selectifly chosen paper.
And this is seen as important for academic careers (I think). Anyone had any
experience with this type of situation/mixture/requirements of academics?

I had a great conversation today with the chair of the program committee. I
didn't seek him out but have been very open with my thoughts on the
conference wiki and he came to see me. I found him extremely supportive of
the idea of opening more space. The Birds of a Feather times (evenings) are
really open space by another name, and this evening people are going like
gangbusters, hours after the official program ended. Very cool. Anyway, he's
very open to working out a way that non-corporate, non-academics can get a
much reduced rate (this conf is $450 for me!) and he's open to having more
open space, in some fashion at least. Would be great to pass on some stories
to him from this list (or point me to the archives or website if stuff is
already there).

Thanks!
peace,
ted