OST and POP (was: The Pros and Cons of OST)

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Fri Nov 25 22:21:58 PST 2005

Allison,

You said:
> One saving grace for me around 1985 was giving up focussing on
> positivity.
> That allowed me to drop into the depression and feel it even more  fully
> than I had allowed myself before.
> It was such a relief not to be trying to cheer up or even look for  the
> positive.

Sounds like a wise choice!   I can imagine that  focusing on positivity
could keep one stuck, never fully stepping into real feelings.

You reminded me of something I've learned through Appreciative Inquiry.  (AI
is sometimes misperceived to be about focusing on positivity.)
The genius and the art of AI is to find questions that explore what is
life-giving, whatever the situation.

This requires no obligation to be positive -- just an invitation to be
curious and willing to explore what's there to appreciate in the moment.

still rainy in Seattle,
Peggy

Peggy Holman
The Open Circle Company