Starting with Open Space

Marion Barnett marion.barnett at ntlworld.com
Mon Nov 21 07:12:10 PST 2005

From: Harrison Owen

I guess I would raise you one, Nancy. Forget the process, trust the people - and it will all work almost regardless of what you do, or don't do.

Ummmmmmmmm.  I wonder if we could poke around that some more...

Hi, folks, I'm new too.  Once upon a time, I was an HR professional, with particular involvement in self and organisational development, and have attended OS, have some training therein, but never facilitated one.  Though I have worked with development in leaderless groups.  I am now an artist, working in paint and textiles, sometimes both at once (I'm not good at rules <G>).

I'd like there to be a network of textile artists in my area, Norfolk in the South East of England, for mutual support and all the other goodies that come with flocking with birds that understand your feathers <g>.  I'd like to share my ideas for this with others, and hear what they want and need, and work with those who want to, to create something that works for all of us.   I immediately thought, OS.  I could hold a space open ...
Then I thought, but I want to participate in the discussions.  I've got ideas...not the only ideas, you understand, but some.   I don't think I can do both...or I could, but I don't know that it would be successful.  I've not been here long, and I ain't got no resources, nor yet a network...so I don't know anyone who could facilitate for me (or I do, but they're all in Scotland <g>).

Then I thought, I could just open the space and see what happens...  I've always trusted the process before, and it has always worked... and then I read the above (thanks, Harrison <g>), which just made me start the whole question thing again <g>.

As you can see, my conversations with myself are of a circular nature...  could anyone interrupt with some help/advice/comment/whatever?  Please?
tia
marion