Process in Breakout Groups

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Thu Nov 17 15:41:04 PST 2005

Jimmy--

After a number of years working as a facilitator with various structured
processes, when I began facilitating Open Space, I discovered that the breakout
groups could work just fine without more-formal facilitation or structure.

For one thing, the groups tend to be smaller.   People come because they have
passion for, or at least interest in, the discussion topic, so there is less
need for a facilitator to bring people back to the subject.   The Law of Two
Feet, plus the natural leadership skills of group members, usually take care of
the possible problem of someone monopolising the conversation and others not
being heard.   There seem to be a lot of benefits in giving the group full
responsibility for their conversation, and trusting that to work.

In other times and places, I still facilitate workshops and other structured
processes, but have learned from experience that does not always mix well with
OST.

My two cents' worth--

Joelle Everett
Shelton, Washington, USA