What increases the likelihood of action?

Zelle Nelson zelle at knowplacelikehome.com
Fri Nov 11 11:13:54 PST 2005

Wow Peggy!

Words and ideas have sprung from your fingertips...

Sparking a few thoughts of my own.

In opening the space, once I've expressed the 4 principles and the law,
explained how it will work, what might happen, as I'm inviting people to
post topics, at the end I almost always say something like, "I've talked
for far too long. This is your meeting, your opportunity to talk and to
listen. I'm stepping out of the way and you are now responsible for what
happens next." I believe I witnessed Harrison using such a phrase in
opening the space at one time or another.

I really like the idea of stating that the time is now theirs, it's
their meeting to do with it what they will. It has always been their
meeting, but sometimes people don't see that they have the law and their
own passions and responsibility in every moment. Sometimes it helps to
notice/remind people of the present reality.

I love the idea of speaking about love.

One thing I noticed the other day. We had the tv on in the background -
I think the show is called starting over and a person on the show talked
about essentially sometimes we need space:

"time to repair and prepare"

She also talked about how it's good to cry when you "cry with an agenda".

Sometimes Open Space is just that "time to repair and prepare", "time to
cry with an agenda" and that's plenty of action in and of itself.

I remember seeing on the list at one point the metaphor of holding your
hand closed over something, once you've grabbed it. If your palm is
facing down and you open your fingers what you grabbed onto is lost. But
turn your hand over, palm up and open your hand, you are still holding
something, but it is supported and free. - I also thought of the
butterfly metaphor. A butterfly is something that can land and rest on
your open hand, and it can fly when it is ready. But try to close your
hand over the butterfly, to hold it, you ruin its wings and it can no
longer fly.

We also love re-opening the space for action going forward.

Thanks so much for your great contributions!

with grace and love,

Zelle

************
Zelle Nelson
Engaging the Soul at Work/Know Place Like Home/State of Grace Document

www.stateofgracedocument.com

zelle at maureenandzelle.com

office - 001.828.693.0802
mobile - 001.847.951.7030

Isle of Skye
2021 Greenville Hwy
Flat Rock, NC 28731
USA

Peggy Holman wrote:

> [...]
> then another, when the third arrived, it became a session), our
> exploration of the topic itself.
>

> Right timing.  One environmental factor that strikes me as important
> is right timing.  What is the state of the situation?  Has there been
> time and energy invested already, just no clear answers emerging?  Is
> it a whole new subject?  I think in many of our most complex issues
> over the last few years, incredible work has been done, lots of
> creative answers identified, yet nothing quite taking root.  In these
> cases, because the ideas are ripe for harvesting, enabling the system
> to talk to itself could be just the ticket to generate coherence.
>

> *  Preparing the field.  Being mindful of the "container" we create
> for the work is perhaps one of the most important and subtle jobs of
> an OS practitioner.
>

> My understanding of the nature of "containers" for the work we do has
> evolved hugely through the years.  I used to think of the container as
> a bowl, with sides that protect, creating a sense of safety through
> its form. I think most of the change processes out there do create
> bowl-like psychic structures (picture two hands cupped, as if to hold
> water), lots of safety, some room for the unknown and very constrained
> space.  I think as OS practitioners begin, they often hold on pretty
> tight, creating bowl-like spaces.  I know I did.  These spaces are
> serviceable but not nearly as juicy as taking that next step into the
> "field" (picture two hands together, flat and open).  This is a gift
> of Open Space, to offer a container open to the air, the mystery.  The
> theme of the OS bounds the space, trusting participants to care for
> themselves, each other and the whole.  In every OS in which I've been
> part, people have collectively lived up to this expectation.
>

> Here's the edge of my own learning:  I think the work of the OS
> practitioner who wishes to support action beyond an event learns to
> release the container into the hands of the participants.  When action
> continues, it is in part because the container has been internalized,
> becoming a web of connections among participants.  They now hold their
> own future.  I think that is why re-opening space for coherent action
> on the last day of a multiple day open space is so powerful.  It is an
> explicit invitation to take ownership of what's next.  There's a
> coherence that comes of the web weaving itself. Clearly, this can
> happen without the OS practitioner knowing any of this, but I think
> the more we are mindful of giving away the container itself, helping
> it morph into a web, the more we increase the potential for follow on.
>

> Our job is to hold lightly and then let go, releasing the fate of
> those we've been serving into their own hands.
>

> We talk so much about holding space, I'm particularly interested in
> thoughts about this idea of releasing space.
>

> So, that seems a good place to end these reflections and ask what you

>>> 1 humanitarian chnage that matters to them is X with the person amongst
>>> the

--
ÐÏࡱá